gas valve location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FanMan

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2012
CT stix & upstate NY
I'm about to install two direct vent propane wall mount heaters to continue my overall conversion from oil to propane. Anyway, the instructions for the heater specify the location to run the gas line through the wall, but that doesn't leave room for a shutoff valve; it's very close to the gas inlet on the heater. Can't see that the precise location matters, but is there a required location for the shutoff valve? Does the valve have to be indoors, or can it be on the outside of the wall? Is it a code thing?

I believe the gas codes specify that the shut off needs to be within 5 feet of the appliance & in the same room. If you're getting the install inspected, you should talk to the inspector. If you're gonna do it WITHOUT the AHJ getting involved, I'd run the gas line thru the wall, install a shut-off at that point & run an approved appliance connector from the shut-off to the gas valve...

Status
Not open for further replies.