Gas vented fireplace recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anonymous1977

Mar 3, 2021
NJ
Looking for recommendations for a gas vented fireplace which can vent directly from the back rather than going up and out. Looking for something that can heat a 1200 sq ft space with one family room at 15x15x20 foot high ceiling without breaking the bank. I have looked at Mendota FV45 but cost with installation is around $15k and I am looking for something cheaper. I presently do not have a fireplace.

No particular model. I read rear vent & missed the "break the bank" statement.
Then again, what if YOU did some of the work & left the gas & electrical connections
to the professionals? Every hour the installer is on site is money.
The installation manuals are very thorough, & basic carpentry skills
& tools are the only things that are needed...

Bumping it in. However I have a wood floor. So I am not sure if the framing would go directly on that. Also I will need to make a hole in the wall to take the venting outside. These are what I am worried about.

All the measurements you need are in the install manual.
Find a rear vented unit that appeals to you, go to the website
& download that particular manual & read it.
If you think your skills are good enough to measure, drill, cut &
you have the necessary tools, go for it.
If you have a question about the framing requirements, check back.
We can help you thru the job.

Thank you for that response. I have the tools available and have done a lot of DIY work including the following attached. The primary reason for success for these projects was someone guided me online and I just followed their direction. I am confident of doing this myself but am tripping up on the following questions. I may need some guidance if I decide to embark on this.

1. How and at what steps do I handle the permit process?
2. How difficult would it be to make a large hole through the siding and take the vent pipe out? I don't know if I have the tools for such a large hole.
3. Can I do framing on top of my wood floors? How do I do so without damaging the floor?
4. So far I have only seen you respond to questions. Would it be ok if I could just enlist your assistance for guidance or do other people post here as well?

These and a number of other questions.

Attachments

• b0Ziybe.jpg
    b0Ziybe.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20201223_072518__01.jpg
    IMG_20201223_072518__01.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 115
How difficult is it to do the framing etc?
Hi there,

I have similar request since looking to do direct vent fireplace in my living room a side vent thru the back and I am DIY'er too.
My current issue is that I have a 64 year old brick chimney that has severe spalling everywhere and the fireplace cant be used due to a chimney inspection failed . I thinking to have the entire brick chimney removed since rebuilding entire brick chimney is very expensive from contractors.
@anonymous1977 , which direct vent model did you get or deciding to get ?
I am in Central NJ, anyone know of a a good fireplace installer recommendation ?

thanks

Hi there,

I have similar request since looking to do direct vent fireplace in my living room a side vent thru the back and I am DIY'er too.
My current issue is that I have a 64 year old brick chimney that has severe spalling everywhere and the fireplace cant be used due to a chimney inspection failed . I thinking to have the entire brick chimney removed since rebuilding entire brick chimney is very expensive from contractors.
I am in Central NJ, anyone know of a a good fireplace installer recommendation ?

thanks
Also, I have natural gas and my current fireplace is old , I think its BellFire mfg, and attached is my chimney inspection report for further details

chimneyyinspectionreport.PNG

Hi there,

thanks
I got the heat n glo NNXT model and used wood stove and gas fireplace in oakhurst NJ.

furthermore, we want to convert to a gas fireplace and currently there is a wood burning fireplace in the living room.

Are the direct vent gas fireplaces, the most efficient ?

Which is the best option, VENTED , B-VENT, DIRECT VENT or VENT FREE ?

thanks

furthermore, we want to convert to a gas fireplace and currently there is a wood burning fireplace in the living room.

Are the direct vent gas fireplaces, the most efficient ?

Which is the best option, VENTED , B-VENT, DIRECT VENT or VENT FREE ?

thanks
Direct vent is the way to go. B vent is also okay, but less efficient. Vent free should be illegal in my opinion. I will not install or service them.