Gas vs. insert, etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4x15mph

Oct 27, 2008
southern PA
I have a masonry, wood burning fireplace. It is not efficient and essentially we lose heat as many do with this type of setup.

An insert looks to be about $3K installed.

I have oil heat for the house and do not have access to a gas line.

What is more efficient, A gas vent-less setup or an insert? What would be the best bang for the buck as an upgrade given my current setup? Grate fan, wood/pellet insert, gas conversion, etc?

I really like the natural wood burning aesthetics and I just want to get to the point where I am not losing heat out of the chimney.

Thank you
Scott

Welcome to the Forum!

This is a very hard question to answer without knowing your particulars. Efficiency is only one thing to consider. I am assuming you are thinking about a propane vent free fireplace vs a wood fired insert. The simple answer is the vent free is more efficient, but I wouldn't want one in my house due to the fumes. The insert will "waste" 20-30% of the heat, but wood is generally cheaper than propane. The insert will be more satisfying than the flicker of a gas flame, IMHO. The grate fans can make a negatively efficient fireplace positive, but it is a far cry from a modern stove. Pellets are convenient, but you can't just find pellets on the side of the road or falling down in your backyard. Propane can approach the cost of oil, unless you are buying large quantities.

I guess it all comes down to how serious you are about burning wood. The price of admission can be a bit steep as you've found, but the rewards are great. Many here have cut their fuel bills in half or less and most of us are hooked on the lifestyle. So maybe we're a little crazy, but for aesthetics, it's hard to beat watching a wood fire behind glass and knowing your furnace is not running.

Chris

4x15mph said:
What is more efficient, A gas vent-less setup or an insert?
There are more important things than efficiency. How do you feel about living in a space where all the combustion by products of your household heating are exhausted? I believe they are not even legal in Canada for this reason.

Wood = heat=renewable heat

Asses = lazy=non-renewable heat

You = hmmmm??

Carbon neutral= Wood..

That's being a little harsh on the newbie, Sonny....

We're all a little biased here, but not everyone can do a full conversion away from oil that fast. It's a big step to fork over $3k or more for an insert, but many have done so and not regretted it. Most of us would like a cheap and dirty solution to our problems, but deciding on the right equipment is a big step and not to be rushed.

Scott; if you LIKE to burn wood for the aesthetics, get an insert. There's a world of difference between a modern EPA stove and a fireplace. There's more heat, less smoke and work and they're fun to play with! You will be amazed how much heat an armload of wood has in it. After the bug takes hold, you won't look back. Stick around, ask questions and make your decision.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.