gasket around door falling off after 1 year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewatcher

Nov 10, 2006
New Jersey
I bought a brand new Osburn 2200 insert last September and now I have noticed the gasket around the door has become unglued??? When it falls out of place I just stuff it back in.

What causes the gasket to detach?

What are the drawbacks on a loose gasket?

What is the best way to fix it?

Thanks

Questions answered in order of appearance.

Poor glue.
Chance of closing it in the door if forgotten, as well as the PITA of having to put it back in place.
Hi-temp silicone.

Silicone may not hold up to the heat - we like the stove gasket cement, especially the more liquid type - I think it was called G2, there was another thread somewhere about it. Often the cause is that the paint on the stove becomes tacky during the first firings and grabs the gasket - thereby pulling it out. Another reasons is if the manufacturers painted the gasket groove (glue sticks better to raw steel or cast, than to paint)

Lots of stoves using RTV silicone for door gaskets these days. It is working fine on the the 30-NC. The door shucks heat so fast and the airwash over the glass cools so much the door never seems to get over three hundred.

Some stove manufacturers recommend replacing the door gasket every year or at least imspecting and regluing the gasket if it is comming loose but not damaged.

It must be a fairly common occurance for them to mention it in their owners manuel.

Stuff happens. (all the time) re-attach with stove gasket cement (small tubes are sold at most stove dealers) then go do something you really enjoy and forget it.

I just did nine again with hi temp silicone, works great. When taking the old one off also done with the silicone, it was not easy. Had to use a wire wheel to get it cleaned up. Had bad experience with the gasket cement, gasket fell off after opening to load second load after new gasket. Silicone for me for now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.