Gasket replacement problem (Salvo Citation stove)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stinkynelson

Feb 6, 2018
Manchester, MA
Hi all,

I have a Salvo Citation wood stove (from the 80s) and have just installed what I thought was the correct size gasget (3/8 inch). The 2 stove doors, however, will no longer shut.

The gasket channel is 1/2 inch wide - the hw store did not carry 1/2 inch gaskets so I got a 3/8 inch gasket kit. On first look, things look like a good fit. But it's as if I needed a flat-ish gasket instead of a round rope, which is just too much material in the channel to allow the doors to shut.

With no owners manual (and none available online from what I can tell), I would love some advice on the gasket size/type I should be using? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

For the benefit of anyone who might run into a similar issue ... here's what I've done.
- pulled out the new rope gasket that I just put in - there's no way it's going to compress enough to allow the doors to shut, ever
- without any gasket, the doors close and latch, and there is a very small amount of wiggle available. This leads me to believe that the correct gasket needs to be flat
- ordered flat gasket that is 5/8 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. The channel is 1/2 inch but 5/8 inch should work and compress slightly.

Will update on Thursday when the new gasket arrives and I can get around to installing.

One way to test is with cardboard. Cut a strip and set on mating surface where gasket belongs. Try door latch. Build up cardboard until latch does not work and you know the crushed size that will fit. White rope comes in 1/4, 3/16, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1", 1/1/4, and 1.3". One of the sizes thinner than 3/8 would have crushed to 1/8 thick X 1/2.
When gasket material is cemented in place (Rutland Stove and Gasket Cement is good for this) you may need to wire wheel the old cement from the surface it was attached to. This builds up like gray cement and will not allow the correct gasket material to fit.
The other solution is to buy a Fisher so you don't need a gasket ;lol You knew that was coming.

Reactions: begreen
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I inherited a Salvo wood stove and it also needs a gasket. Does the Citation 11W and the Citation W take the same door gasket? I have a serial # to the stove if it would help. Thanks in advance . Alot of great Information here!!