Gasket replacement video or how-to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Hi - I could have sworn I've seen an instructional video on how to replace a door gasket here, but darn if I can find it when I need it. We have a Lopi Republic 1750i, with a really fat gasket. Original one lasted many years but our first replacement one is absolutely falling out which leads me to believe we did something wrong. Not enough cement? Need to clean the groove better? I don't know.

Incidentally, while I love the stove all around, I'd say the door seal/gasket is one of the only annoying things about this stove, the door mechanism frays the gasket a bit, etc.

When you chip the old gasket cement out, run a damp rag thru the channel to clean out any cement dust. Run a small (1/8") bead thru the channel & then using your pinkie finger tip or a small piece of extra gasket & "prime" the channel by spreading the cement around to coat it. Let it dry a bit & then run a larger bead around the channel. Press the gasket into the cement & work your way around the door trying not to stretch the gasket. Trim the ends to get a nice close fit, mount the door on the stove & close it. Leave it closed & latched for up to one day before opening it. You should be good to go...

Reactions: tickbitty
I just did mine (and need to redo it with a high density gasket), real easy...but, as with most everything, the prep is more important than anything. I had a small wire wheel on a dremmel and lightly ground out the old cement.

- cement one side at at time
- press in new gasket without stretching
- leave excess gasket on.
- close door and see where you need to cut the gasket
- close door and latch
- start hot fire within month

On doors we always use hightemp silicone. It seems to hold up better than cement. Many stove manufacturers use silicone now as well

I used high temp (red) silicone on the last gasket install. Mo betta. Rutland sells a black silicone for gaskets now too. I also put a sheet of newspaper over the door opening before closing with the fresh gasket adhesive. That way if there is any ooze it will stick to the paper and not the stove body. Fortunately there was none, but this is an easy safety step.

It wasn't you, some of those gasket cements didn't work well. Maybe it was something I did, but wire brushing out the groove, laying in a bead of cement and laying in the gasket is not to complicated. I think some of it was to brittle and broke free of the gasket. After a few gaskets breaking free, I switched to Permatex high temp copper. No issue and easy to get it out of the groove.

Thanks to all of you that answered this - two years ago! Finding myself in need of the instruction again. Have had the stove since it was new, so not a lot of old cement in there, just a little glue. Thank you again.

As noted, I did my last gasket with red RTV. Worked like a charm. I won't use the old style stuff again.

Last edited:
Get wire wheel set for your drill.cleans it spotless then brake clean to clean up channel

51jF7swvUuL._AC_SY400_.jpg