General MMD4E Moisture Meter Setting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigealta

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
I just tried out this General mmd4e meter. Seems to work well. Showed some surprising results on the moisture in my different stacks.

My question is: I noticed that the High level light and alarm go off at 16% when set to "wood" mode.
I saw in the online manual that that is the correct setting for "wood", wood meaning building woods - interior furniture quality, trim etc. i assume.
And that the "Building materials" is set to indicate High and trigger alarm at 20%.

So the high and alarm setting seem to be counter intuitive for using with firewood.
Is this what you guys have found with this meter?

I'm just going to use it in the building materials mode. Not that it really matters, because we are going by the numbers, but it should keep the thing a little quieter.

Ok now i'm a bit more confused after rereading the owners manual which says
"Includes separate moisture-resistance curves for wood and building materials"

I thought the building materials was e.g. drywall.
I always use the wood setting (and wished I could switch off the alarm other than by cutting a wire inside...)

I thought the building materials was e.g. drywall.
I always use the wood setting (and wished I could switch off the alarm other than by cutting a wire inside...)
I think you can hold down one of the buttons to shut it off? will try and get back on that.

"To silence beeper at any time, press and hold the HOLD button for 3 seconds
This will disable the beeper until the meter is powered off. The beeper will automatically be re-
enabled when the meter is powered on again"

Reactions: stoveliker
Great, thank you very much. One annoyance less. Much appreciated!