General plumbing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2009
WV
Hey Guys,
I'm new to OWB and getting ready to purchase one. Couple questions. My OWB will be about 75 feet from hookup to existing propane boiler. I also want to hook up to my hot water tank. The hot water tank is about 50 more feet past my propane boiler. I also have a smaller hot water tank that is plumbed into the kitchen which is near the boiler. What would be the best piping setup her. Here is a little diagram to help

OWB--75ft--to-----Propane boiler----14 ft-to----small hot water tank---35 ft--to main hot water tank

I also have a pool that is about 75 ft from OWB in same direction of propane boiler that I would like to hook up at some time

Also, my house is two-story. I have read that the OWB needs to be at least level with the highest most point of circulation in the house for it to work. I am using hydronic baseboards thru the entire house. Is this true or just go with a bigger pump

Thanks for any info

I suspect that the first thing that most of the people on here will suggest is NOT getting an "OWB" - I'll let them chime in with all the reasons why OWB's are not a real good choice compared to a gasification boiler, which costs a little more to get initially, but will last longer while burning less wood and making less pollution...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.