Generally...How Many Cords Does It Take To Get Through The Winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm building a house so I'm curious too how much wood it will use. The house has half with a cathedral ceiling so the internal space is equivalent to a 2000 sq ft house. I have a centrally located masonry heater, and an open floor plan. I'm in the rocky mountains (Idaho). The walls are insulated concrete form. There are 2 'hot rooms' specifically for collecting the southern sun (I intend to build and install thermal shutters). I've got a bunch of rigid board insulation for the ceiling and loft walls. So pretty low tech set-up. I'm hoping to burn between 1 and 2 cords. But it could be less or more. Best = 1/2 cord, and worst = 3.5 cords.

The three big unknowns are, 1) how much heat will I get from these passive hot rooms?, 2) ICF (insulated concrete form) construction will 'tighten' the house and require less heat, but how much less?, and 3) I know masonry heaters are pretty efficient but how efficient in this house set-up?. Hmmm....

We'd just be speculating. As this thread shows, there are lots of varying opinions. You'll have to tell us how it works. Will you be in the house before winter?

have had a stove for 2 years. 3 cords burning from october through april...generally late afternoon through evening (with the hot stones of the soapstone stove taking over for at least a few hours after that) unless the temps get very cold and i dont want the furnace working overtime. leaky old stove though. would have taken double the wood to burn all day. but thatd be too costly for me. stove room stays in the 80s.....furthest part of the house high 60s. i am hoping that a new stove bought this fall will result in needing about 4 cords for nearly all day burning during the winter and part day burning in oct. and april.

Live in southwest Ohio, went from 5 cord down to 2 cord, only source of heat 1800 sq ft when I bought the new stove (cat). Went to coal for a couple yrs now back to wood and bought a NC30($150) just for this yr until I can buy the stove I want next season. I’m gonna guess I’ll be at 3 cord or so for the (30)!

Live in southwest Ohio, went from 5 cord down to 2 cord, only source of heat 1800 sq ft when I bought the new stove (cat). Went to coal for a couple yrs now back to wood and bought a NC30($150) just for this yr until I can buy the stove I want next season. I’m gonna guess I’ll be at 3 cord or so for the (30)!

The nc30 can really chew through some wood if you want heat!

The nc30 can really chew through some wood if you want heat!
Well this yr is going to be a learning curve with the “30” I think! I’m afraid that I won’t be able to burn 24/7 with it cause I don’t need a lot of heat from a stove but I couldn’t pass this deal up. The stove has never been used and I paid $150 for it so....I believe I will have a lot of short fires in it thru the season unless we have a really cold winter for some reason.

Reactions: begreen and Ashful