Generator Run Electric Hot Water Heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It would be interesting to rig up a hot water heat exchanger on the generator exhaust and use that to heat the hot water. A big portion of the fuel BTU content to generator is exhausted as heat. I work on combined heat and power systems for industry and institutions and we can recover about 50% of the heat input of the engine. We have two of these sitting in warehouse right now waiting to be installed https://powergen.gepower.com/conten... 6/jenbacher-type-6-fs-en-non-metric-2016.pdf which will produce chilled water with a hot water absorption chiller and plenty of hot water. Unfortunately these systems don't scale well but I have seen folks home build heat exchangers or use a water cooled exhaust from the small boat industry.

Number of years ago ( 70's) , designed exhust + eng coolant using exchangers to heat carpet cleaning solution set up as a package unit with a small diesel eng. - refined further dropped out small eng hooked up to transport power plant. Had to set up a thermal bypass to stay under 212 deg F, both of these designs are still in use- likely with some changes , Oh and the pumps for solution injection/extraction were also driven by same power plants.

Number of years ago ( 70's) , designed exhust + eng coolant using exchangers to heat carpet cleaning solution set up as a package unit with a small diesel eng. - refined further dropped out small eng hooked up to transport power plant. Had to set up a thermal bypass to stay under 212 deg F, both of these designs are still in use- likely with some changes , Oh and the pumps for solution injection/extraction were also driven by same power plants.
I remember about the same time Fiat was looking into residential co-generation systems (heat and electricity) from their engines installed in homes.