Geoffstown NH - Flames in the wall area of a pellet stove!! House is a total loss!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have seen 2 pellet pipes joined together inside the wall thru in one case. That is a No-No and is now fixed.
If the pipe has no vertical rise then alot more hot embers will pass thru the wall and that is not a good idea!
Also I have seen a wall thru that was not secured properly becaus the wall was not cut properly. Finally I have seen adjustable pellet pipe going thru the wall and that is a big No-No.

So in this case I would highly suspect the installation is at fault here!!!

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120107/NEWS07/120109955

GOFFSTOWN - Flames broke out early Saturday morning at a home at 183 Elm St., leaving it uninhabitable.

Emergency responders were alerted about 2 a.m. after the homeowner woke to the smell of smoke, said Lt. Bill Connor, Fire Prevention Officer for Goffstown Fire Department.

Connor said the owner discovered flames in the wall area of a pellet stove, but that the official cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Three residents and two dogs were able to escape the home without injury, but the two-alarm fire destroyed it.

"The house is not in livable condition," Connor said. "There was significant structural damage."

The Red Cross was called in and is assisting the family with temporary housing.

Mutual aid was received from Manchester, Bedford, Dunbarton, New Boston and Weare. Ambulances were on scene, which Connor said is standard when a fire reaches two alarms.

According to Connor, winter weather brings some challenges to firefighting, but that the milder temperatures in this case kept those challenges to a minimum.

"Conditions can get hazardous for personnel," Connor said, but said if it was as cold as it had been earlier in the week, the crews could have had issues with the trucks and hoses freezing.

One of the biggest worries in the winter is ice.

"When the runoff starts to freeze, you have to be more sure-footed," Connor said.

A portion of Elm Street was closed in the Paige Hill Road area for several hours, but was back open by seven a.m.

Attachments

• GoffstownNHPelletStoveFire.jpg
    GoffstownNHPelletStoveFire.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 292
Status
Not open for further replies.