Get prepared now. Winter is coming next week.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Some big-time cold forecast to come into the States early next week. Possibly a big storm ahead of it too but they aren't sure about the storm. Many areas will see below zero, so be sure you have fuel on hand; you'll need it.

I think we'll be okay though as we still have about 20 cords on hand. lol

Bring it on!

Having replaced the f100 with the castine this is the first season I'm praying for cold so we can run the stove and also wear some clothes in the house!
Never thought I'd look forward to below zero temps.

I think winter is here in New Jersey-it's been blowing like a SOB outside all morning. Hopefully after all this rain it will uproot some trees ;)

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I heard that too. Just like my 5" snow last night, was only supposed to get 1-2"??????????

Single digit's are starting to get to me, I'd just like to see the high around 40. And dreaming for night time lows above freezing. HAHALOL those were the days.

Altho- i heard alaska is 60 below- now that's really cold.

ps- down to my last 2 or 3 face cords

We're supposed to hit 13F in Nashville on Tuesday night, which means single digits up on the Plateau. We've had 3 or 4 brief cold snaps like that this season, but really I feel we've had a mild winter. It's rained like a SOB, though. Holy crap my yard is a swamp! I think our drought should be officially over.

Though I like the thought of having to use the stove in a true 'winter emergency' type situation once, just for giggles, I am not complaining about the milder weather. Next year I plan to have the fuel supply in better order. Not that this year was a bust, but we did things rather last minute. If my dad didn't have about 2 cords of red oak and 2 cords of pine "extra" lying around, we'd have installed only this year rather than installed and burned.

7day.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Savage...been snowing here all morning but I wouldn't call it a storming.

Hey guys, Tuesday is the big day for most folks temperature to drop, but that is only the first wave. Also remember that the second night after a front passes is colder than the first. By next weekend, we'll all be shivering. Hopefully not shoveling though.

Pagey said:
I am not complaining about the milder weather.

So YOUR the one that stole my global warming. I want it back. Its been darn cold for a long time here.

Crap! That's going to screw up my fishing, they were just starting to bite again. Yesterday I caught a nice mess of bluegills for a fish fry tonight.

Todd said:
Crap! That's going to screw up my fishing, they were just starting to bite again. Yesterday I caught a nice mess of bluegills for a fish fry tonight.

If I leave now, I should be able to get there for supper. :cheese:

...I confess...I'm a sissy. I don't like the single digit stuff anymore. I don't mind the snow but that cold cold stuff (yeah, I know, single digits is balmy for some of you way up there)....just don't like it anymore.

yeah we are expecting anothe snow tomorrow..Not as much as the last one but one the line of anywheres from 1"-7"

Well its about time for you guys. I think we are finally going to come out of our cold snap this weekend. We haven't seen above - 30c/-22f for almost two months. Let the ice fishin begin!

north of 60 said:
Let the ice fishin begin!

Heh, so does one length of auger do the trick or do you need an adapter to stack em'? ;-P

In my yard we got 10" of snow on New Years Eve. On Jan 9, we still have about 6", with no new snowfall. Haven't seen that in a while... Not bitter cold, just consistent cold. Probably about time for Al Gore to fly his private jet over here for a Global Warming talk at Brown University.

Yeah!! Where in the middle of a snow storm right now. There saying possibly 6". No big deal. At the end of the week there saying single digits for a few nights in a row with highs in the teens to low 20's. That's good and cold for around here. Cool :cheese:

Mmmmm,

Fish just taste better through the ice!

Attachments

• DSC00077.JPG
    DSC00077.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC01890.JPG
    DSC01890.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 243
it was 60 here yesterday, took off early to go cut that big dead tree that fell over last month (no coat, no overalls, no hat, what a great day to cut firewood). It might be just enough to get me through the end of the winter. If i knew in November what I know now, I'd have another cord, maybe even 2 sitting around as that cold moves my way.

Mobetter- What did your kid use for bait? Worms or dynamite? Enjoy the fish. Stay warm.

mobetter said:
Mmmmm,

Fish just taste better through the ice!

mmmmmmmmmmm....beer batter sea perch kitten fillets........

Status
Not open for further replies.