Get Ready for the Storm Northeast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
Monday and Tuesday. Bring in those pellet bags and firewood.

Eastern LI will get whacked. Hopefully they are wrong on the totals.

storm.jpg
Pellets at parents house are ready, by the front door. Brought in the Somersets for premium fire power.
pellets.jpg

The cat doesn't care much about it though, sleeps through it all as long as it is nice and warm.
Cat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: R'Lee
Just got a weeks' worth of wood in yesterday but I'll be bringing more in today. They're calling for damaging winds Monday night so the generator will be at the ready :p

Take your life savings and go out and buy every generator you can find. Then start selling them tomorrow morning.

I know I looked the weather two days ago and there was no mention of this. That's when I agreed to cover a roof shoveling gig for my buddy while he's on vacation this week.
One customer at the end of a 7 mile dead end dirt road gets his roof shoveled off every storm! We've fixed every leak over the years but he still has it in his head that if it's not clear of snow it'll leak. So he pays good money for it to be raked and shoveled off every storm.
Looks like I'll be getting a work out Wednesday. It's not easy money but it's money! :)

Last edited:
Take your life savings and go out and buy every generator you can find. Then start selling them tomorrow morning.
And all the bread, milk and bottled water too. (Is what they do around here)

Only calling for 2-4 inches here. Im more worried about those zero temps next week. Mon feb 2 10 deg for a high and zero for a low.

Looks like ground zero is at my sister-in-laws.

I'm good.

Tired, but I'm good.

Finally - some good snow-shoeing snow.

Reactions: R'Lee and valuman
And perhaps I will be able to ride the snowmobile from my door yard . . . thought I would have to trailer it this year.

Everything is freezing. Temps are dropping.

I de iced as best as possible (emptied the ash can in the most dangerous places)

It's gonna be a bear.

Horses are set up, that's a good thing.

The forecast keeps getting worse as the day goes by. Wah!

We're screwed.

Get your butt covered, in more ways than one.

I bought all the ingredients to make some beef barley vegetable soup tomorrow, filled the beer fridge up, loaded the porch with a weeks worth of wood and put the chains on the tractor. I'm ready.

Finally - some good snow-shoeing snow.
Yes sir! I'm hoping it's not all hype and we get at least 8" here to cover up the glare ice that's been covering the landscape for the past four or five weeks. Let it snow!

Latest prediction seems to show a shift a bit to the south for ground zero. Now it looks like lower NYS and the CT coast will get hardest hit. Hunker down Dix.
snow.png

Reactions: Dix
Just let the dog out to about 2" and light but steady snow coming down in Northwest Jersey. Hoping work lets us out early because coming home at 5:00 could be a real nightmare. The wife and kids will be hunkered down and warm with the Englander today.

Crammed 2 more wheel barrows full into the house. Might make another run.

I'm going into work, but taking the truck.

at 66 years old this year, I have never seen a local forecast with the words "accumulations of 2-3 feet". have a day 7am ncep via dr. maue on twitter forgot to add that I've never lived in the Buffalo area!?!
B8Roab4CcAA2MvR.png:large

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
And all the bread, milk and bottled water too. (Is what they do around here)

Never have quite understood the buy all the bread, milk, and eggs right before a storm thing. I'll usually make sure the cabinet is stocked with canned goods and a couple propane bottles for the camp stove.

Only calling for 2-4 inches here. Im more worried about those zero temps next week. Mon feb 2 10 deg for a high and zero for a low.

We're in the 6-8" range for total accumulation which I can easily handle; however, I'm nowhere near ready for single digits. The stove shop still hasn't gotten back to me with a quote for the reline and getting this stove to run right with the oversized chimney just doesn't work real well. I could probably use about 2 more cords of good wood.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.