Getting a new stove, and some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dankev

Nov 17, 2008
Portland, OR
Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my last thread about whether or not to upgrade my old stove. If anyone wants to read it, it's here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/28534/P0/

It sounds like we will be getting a new stove. I’ve been doing some reading, and it looks like the PE Alderlea T5 would be a good candidate. We have a 1400 sq foot house. Unfortunately, it is a long rectangle with our bedroom on the opposite side of the house from the stove. It heats up now, it just takes time. We don’t use any fans, but I’m open to adding one/some. I’m also open to the idea of adding a blower, but I don’t know a thing about them.

The hearth is 48” wide by 56” deep, which I think should be adequate. However, the pipe is only 9 inches from the brick. Will it need to be moved, or can the new stove sit farther forward with a couple 45 degree bends to get it where the ceiling hole is? I am completely ignorant regarding pipe and chimney issues.

I was also considering tiling over the brick. Purely for aesthetics. I’ve done some tiling, but I don’t know anything about hearths. I assume I can just thinset right on the brick, slap on some porcelain tiles, and away I go. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions. Thanks again. I’m learning a lot.

Good choice, that's a good fit for your home. It has the swing out trivet top that you are used to with the old stove.

Can you describe the entire flue system and/or maybe post a picture taken a bit further back so that we can see the entire stove pipe?

It looks like you would need an offset, which is not a big deal, but we might as well check for other issues while at it.

I'm attaching pictures. I'd describe it too, but I don't know what the relevant details are.

I don't really understand the thing that sticks out to the left in the middle of the pipe. It has a valve of sorts that opens when the stove gets roaring. This serves the purpose of sucking up my really nice, warm air from right above the stove, and sending it out the chimney.

DSCF2385Medium.jpg
DSCF2386Medium.jpg
DSCF2387Medium.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.