Getting a "stuck" song out of your head....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
I have this problem lately - Big Shot by Billy Joel was playing in the car the other day - you have to admit, that's a catchy tune and it's also played in a very heavy fashion so as to imprint it on your (my) neurons. So, it's playing all day in my brain and I even wake up hearing it!

So, I googled on how to get it out. I'll report back if it works. I'm going to try listening to instrumentals first....see if that works.

http://www.wisegeek.org/how-can-i-get-a-song-out-of-my-head.htm

To get rid of an ear worm- put an actual live worm in your ear.

It will distract your thoughts.

That or try to hum the I Dream of Genie and the Bewitched themes back to back.

Buddy of mine used to work in a warehouse for the local power company & he told me back in the day that he'd start whistling the theme song from the Odd Couple early in the morning as the crews were loading their vehicles. At the end of the day everybody would be whistling that damn tune & nobody could figure out why it was stuck in their heads. At least with a Billy Joel tune you've got some decent music. It could have been the Macarena...

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
The news station I listen to has an ad for a HVAC company. The ad tune in the thing sticks in my head. "If your furnace bites the dust, call the people that you trust. Call your friends at Tucker's A/C." Drives me nuts.

One day running errands in town I left the radio on music stations all day to get the earworm gone. I pulled back into the driveway and the thing came on the music station. !!!

i HATE geting songs stuck in my head, happens a lot , never fails when i get disgusted with talk radio and switch to music, then the last tune i hear when i get outta my truck is the one thats usually stuck. hate it when its a song i dont like.

BUT , its better by far than having the last "limbaugh prose" you hear stuck there !!!

Familiarize yourself with Cole Porter. Learn the lyrics. A genius, and funny!

Hair of the Dog (that bit you).

Like the ole practice of drinking whiskey in the morning to cure a hangover.

I mean, when I get a song stuck, I just listen to the song again. It seems that when a song is "stuck" in your head, it is your minds' way of telling you it wants a little bit more of that song B4 you can get closure.

So, listen to the song again and be gone with it.

Oh, yeah, and another great song to get stuck would just happen to be - HAIR OF THE DOG, by Nazareth.

"Now you're messin with a S...o ....B....::-)

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Oh tie a yellow ribbon round that old oak tree...

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
The news station I listen to has an ad for a HVAC company. The ad tune in the thing sticks in my head. "If your furnace bites the dust, call the people that you trust. Call your friends at Tucker's A/C." Drives me nuts.

One day running errands in town I left the radio on music stations all day to get the earworm gone. I pulled back into the driveway and the thing came on the music station. !!!

"We're going to Thomson's Clam Bar, 'cause that's where the tastiest clams are"
Played on Cape radio stations for decades. Thank God they finally went out of business...

"We're going to Thomson's Clam Bar, 'cause that's where the tastiest clams are"
Played on Cape radio stations for decades. Thank God they finally went out of business...

Don't know about the jingle . . . but now I have a hankering for some fried clams.

Don't know about the jingle . . . but now I have a hankering for some fried clams.

Had to ask, didn't ya;

Imagine listening to this every summer, all summer, every day of summer for 50 years.

I'm not a hater. Really.
However, I hate me some Barney.......not Fife.
Yep, just listen to something else. I have a hard time trying to bring another song into my head while the one stuck there is still playing.
Yellow Submarine is a good one....or,

Buddy of mine used to work in a warehouse for the local power company & he told me back in the day that he'd start whistling the theme song from the Odd Couple early in the morning as the crews were loading their vehicles. At the end of the day everybody would be whistling that damn tune & nobody could figure out why it was stuck in their heads. At least with a Billy Joel tune you've got some decent music. It could have been the Macarena...
I do that to my wife sometimes.
Gives me a chuckle.

Here this should help...

Reactions: PapaDave
I own a recording studio, so this happens all of the time. Half of the time it's music I really don't want to be in my head. After listening to a song all day, its really really stuck.

The best thing I have found is to make up an ending to the song in your head. Chances are it's only a small part that is stuck. Just sing along and when it normally would repeat in your head..redirect it to an ending. Works every time for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.