Getting paid to burn wood incompletely

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Reactions: Vg3200p
What’s the mechanism to provide waste heat to a lumber mill? Do they ship lumber to the on site kiln? Is the mill located next to the plant? Is there some mechanism that you can ship steam at any decent distance?

The facility is located on the same site as the lumbermill. Steam can be piped reasonable distances (thousands of feet not miles). They are using the waste wood from the sawmill as fuel.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
Biochar is "trending" presently. I've done some work with it related to recovery of salts applied to roads for deicing.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
I think this is a great idea, but can't stand the name 'biochar'. Let's just call it charcoal and be done with it.

I think I will start calling my EV a 'combustion-less carriage'? Maybe that will trend....

One of the best ways is to improve soils is to add biochar... I mean charcoal lol. Tribes in the amazon improved the infertile rain forest soils by burning them.

Reads like Biocarbon plan to ensure the safety of the product by controling the sources and testing. The size of Pleasant River‘s operations certainly will help with that. Public confidence will be critical following the PFAS disasters on those so unfortunate Maine farms

Reactions: BotWoogy
Is there some mechanism that you can ship steam at any decent distance?
Yup, fairly old technology. It’s the same general idea that they use when shipping natural gas. First they cool it down into a liquid, then they can easily transport it across the world if need be. Once at the destination, a gentle reheating and it’ll return to its gaseous state!

I think this is a great idea, but can't stand the name 'biochar'. Let's just call it charcoal and be done with it.

I think I will start calling my EV a 'combustion-less carriage'? Maybe that will trend....
It's not just charcoal. There is a difference based on the pyrolyzing temperature, speed, and oxygen presence. These factors can affect the pH, porosity, and particle size. The species of wood also is an important factor in achieving desired characteristics. Biochar is formulated for different purposes from soil amendment to waste and toxin remediation.
I had a consulting doctorate student on a project that blew my mind out with how much research has been done in this area.
Humboldt State Univ. did some interesting forestry research in this area. I will see if I can dig up that white paper or seminar.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodgeek