Getting parts for an older hearthstone & installation Q's?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyTrash

Nov 9, 2008
SW Connecticut
Recently acquired (not even picked it up yet!) an older Hearthstone woodstove and was wondering if I could still get a rear heat shield for it? Do I have to go through an "authorized dealer" or is there a website someone could link me up with? Or do I just make my own out of sheet metal (have a full sheet metal fab shop at my disposal)? Is that legit?

I searched the forum and found the owners manual for it or atleast its the same as the one shown in the picture in the manual... Hearthstone I? When we pick it up I'll get the info off the tags for the exact model but I'm pretty sure its it.

This is pretty unexpected! I wanted one for christmas but DH was heck bent against it. He came across this one and got it for me as a Valentine's treat. It's going in my livingroom so I wanted (ofcourse) to get away with the minimum clearences, hence the need for the rear heat shield. I still have to find a hearthpad for it but corner ones seem hard to come by. Push comes to shove I'll make my own. I'm sure I'll do some thread searching on that.

Any opinions/advice on this particular stove neg or posotive would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

If it truly is an H-1, in a corner, you will need a big hearth no matter what.

stove is approx 33 wide by 28 deep, and with the heat-shield, and using double-wall, shielded single-wall, or class-A solid insulated stovepipe, you only cut the rear clearance from 18" min (36" recommended) to 12". And I would not think it wise to push back to that 12" minimum if you can avoid it. You should still bank on at least 18" coverage all around the perimeter of the stove.

I've attached a sketch here for you, showing an H-1 in the corner of a 10' x 10' room, as described above. I added 2" to all min clearances and centered it on the corner. Still a pretty big hearth.

Edit: added another sketch, showing the no-shield, single-wall pipe install clearances/hearth, using Hearthstone's recommended 36" side clearances.

Attachments

• H1-COR.JPG
    H1-COR.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 304
  • H1-corner-02.jpg
    H1-corner-02.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 308
hope you are felling strong if that is a HS I it is a 700lbs bring some one to help

Its a Hearthstone II and I don't think the corner installation is going to jive.

Picked it up yesterday, ofcourse not literally lol. Fortunately we/he/Dh has a flatbed (car type) so it was/still is strapped to a dolley and they wheeled it up and strapped it down to the bed. This sucker IS HEAVY. Being Dh is pretty slick he brought home two ramps. He backed the flatbed up to the front porch and made a bridge with the ramps across and in through the front door. No way could the 100 yr old porch handle that amount of weight plus us! Then we used sheets of plywood to roll it on into the living room.

So here it is in the livingroom.... Definitely won't be Kitty cornering it! I have plenty of room against the rear wall. Sooo I take it that I need 36" of clearence on the load side, 22" on the opposite and 12" if I have a rear heatsheild and use a class A pipe connecting to the wall thimble, straight shot out no angles? I was thinking I'm going to need more rear clearance if I dont protect the sheetrock or can I indeed go with the 12" with the setup I'm planning? Is it 12" from the heatsheld or from the edge of the stove? I have it sitting 16" from the baseboard right now and probably will leave it like that, more is better... The manual I have really doesn't say as much as some of the newer manuals so I'm not sure.

Another question for CT residents; A friend told us that the city won't give us a permit to put in a non-cat stove, is this true? Seems odd, then why would they sell them?

You can put a non cat stove in there is no such state code but if you cant prove your cleances to the building inspector they may be larger then what you just wrote.

stoveguy13 said:
You can put a non cat stove in there is no such state code but if you cant prove your cleances to the building inspector they may be larger then what you just wrote.

Is the manual proof enough or do I need NFPA documentation?

Thanks, I know this is some pretty trivial stuff but I've never had a wbs before so please bare with me. My confidence is Loooow.

yes manual is good. good luck

Assuming you can connect the stove you have to one of the ones in the manual (I'm presuming you have the manual or you've found it here online??) then your inspector should have no issues. You want to discuss it first w/ him/her. Also let your insurance co. know in case they want you to use some wonky installation guidelines.

You have 3 strikes here:
1 - Old, used stove.
2 - Inspector irregularity - they can either be overboard w/ "knowledge" or completely clueless.
3 - Insurance co. issues - again - can be either very "enh." about it, or can be terrified at the prospect...

If you're doing this all by yourself, consider that a 4th strike - a lot of times you can make #2 and #3 above be non-issues simply by saying "we're having it professionally installed."

Cat is a total non-issue. Old, used stoves that fail to meet EPA regs could be an issue, but to my knowledge CT has no such laws.

To be safe, I would probably measure from the nearest metal surface, so that would be the shield itself, not the stove wall/edge it's shielding. Might be overkill, but clearances are the kind of thing you shouldn't skimp on.

And finally - the sketches above are for an H1 - the H2 is considerably smaller and has different clearance req's. Not necessarily smaller, just different.

The stove has all the labels on the back and it clearly states a Hearthstone II, so I should have no problem convincing the inspector/connecting it to the manual. We do have some recent experience with him; we completely rehabed our 100+ yr old condemned house and he did all the electrical, mechanical, insulation and final CO approvals. He was actually pretty cool w/us?

Called the insurance company a few months ago and they sent me a form that needs to be signed off by either a liscensed installer or the pass of the city inspector. That or I'll just reinsure w/another company and say its existing...

Strike 4 though is a tough one...

Yea, definitely going to want to go with more clearance then less. I was looking at some of the pictures in the gallery for ideas.

Here's a picture of it:

IM001191.gif

Nice stove :) check it out for cracks all around - every stone. Looks like a coal basket on top maybe? Sounds like you have no impending major issues w/ your build - just do it per the book. I would recommend building yourself a nice wall shield w/ spacers / air-gapping, if it's not going in front of an existing fireplace. Good luck with your endeavour!

And seriously, I'll leave you w/ two things to take w/ you:

1 - you can NEVER be too safe.
2 - you can NEVER have enough wood that is dry or seasoned enough. Your wood supply and preparation are things you need to be thinking about, probably more than your installation right now...

Thanks!

I checked it over and over and can't seem to find anything obviously wrong with it. Then again I really don't know what I'm looking for on the inside, the handle connector on the front door is chipped off but still works. Thats about it. The seller put new gaskets on it, so I read some threads on how to do that incase they aren't right (I'll give them the dollar bill test).

The "basket" on top is actually the screen for the front door.

There's ALOT of work to do to get this thing in, I'll be lucky to be loading it with wood come next fall :roll: .

Not rushing in sounds like a good thing. Definitely focus on your wood supply then - get good wood, get it split down to burning size, lay it up to season and dry properly.

I'm still in the midst of a big upstairs renovation plus wanting to burn thru the last of our 4 cords so I can build the big woodshed and get 8-10 cords in. Dumpster and firewood will be competing for driveway space. Woodshed and bathrooms/bedrooms/hallway will be competing for my attention...

Status
Not open for further replies.