Getting rid of a groundhog

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2007
North Jersey Sticks
I have a groundhog causing havoc in my backyard. Anybody have any ideas other than trapping to get rid of this beast?

Ha, Ha, I knew someone would respond with that solution. Unfortunately I dont have any guns laying around.

If you can find its home : CO works the same on them as peoples.

If you're a good shot with an axe ...

There's always the make them uncomfortable route: dog, mean cat, ugly crazy person always chasing them. (That last one doesn't work too well, I can attest to)

Toss a few of them real big bubble gum balls around his hole. There's a farmer up the road that buys them by the case.
The 89 year old widow lady acroos the road killed a big one with her broom last year. She asked me to come and remove it. That's one tough old gal and an even tougher old broom.

kenny chaos said:
Toss a few of them real big bubble gum balls around his hole. There's a farmer up the road that buys them by the case.
The 89 year old widow lady acroos the road killed a big one with her broom last year. She asked me to come and remove it. That's one tough old gal and an even tougher old broom.

dumb question.... are the gumballs for him to chew on or to lure him out of the hole so I could attack him with a broom?

The gumballs are what the 89 y/o widow accepts for her services. Rick

<>The 89 year old widow lady acroos the road killed a big one with her broom last year. She asked me to come and remove it<>

She hit it THAT hard that she couldn't remove the broom? Dayum!

I have a few of the nasty varmints now, one major solution, and it's my own fault, is grubs. In the spring In need to treat my property with grub-x or something similar, this will remove their major food supply.

stop drop & roll said:
Ha, Ha, I knew someone would respond with that solution. Unfortunately I dont have any guns laying around.
we tryed everthing in my dads orchard hit him with a 30-06 and he went up in the air,when we got to the spot where i hit him he was gone!(caddy shack)there tuff dudes!

As far as trapping, the widow actually caught another one in one of those large Havahart traps and then guess who she called?

stop drop & roll said:
I have a groundhog causing havoc in my backyard. Anybody have any ideas other than trapping to get rid of this beast?

Why not just live-trap them and move them elsewhere - if you don't want to kill them. I moved over a dozen of them this summer. By fall, several new ones showed up.

My little kid enjoyed our "woodchuck relocation program." Hardest part is getting them out of the trap.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 528
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 487
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 478
  • 100_2204.jpg
    100_2204.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 503
  • 100_2203s.jpg
    100_2203s.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 459
  • 100_2208.jpg
    100_2208.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 625
Wait till after 02/02/09 to do anything, that way you'll know how much longer we are gonna be burning

jdemaris said:
stop drop & roll said:

Why not just live-trap them and move them elsewhere - if you don't want to kill them. I moved over a dozen of them this summer. By fall, several new ones showed up.

My little kid enjoyed our "woodchuck relocation program." Hardest part is getting them out of the trap.

I guess I could trap him, but that would mean I would I'd have to buy a trap( I'm to cheap). Besides this is my first encounter in 11 years with these things. Funny thing is, I saw him in my neighbors yard over the summer. He must have relocated to my yard, maybee I could send him to my other neighbors yard next (lol).

jdemaris said:
stop drop & roll said:

Great photos!

stop drop & roll said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
Dump used cat litter down their holes. It works.

Now this is the creative stuff I'm looking for! Thanks

Of course, if you have no cats, you'll need to use the litter yourself first for it to work. Rick

Creative? I met a fella who is involved in a "biggest woodchuck" shoot and he locates potential victims early on and feeds them walnuts and boiled potatoes to put weight on them before he blows their furry little nads off.

zendiagrams said:
I have a few of the nasty varmints now, one major solution, and it's my own fault, is grubs. In the spring In need to treat my property with grub-x or something similar, this will remove their major food supply.

UH!!! he said groundhog not moles

fossil said:
stop drop & roll said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
Dump used cat litter down their holes. It works.

Now this is the creative stuff I'm looking for! Thanks

Of course, if you have no cats, you'll need to use the litter yourself first for it to work. Rick[/quot

In that case, why not drop a duece down the hole myself?

Ever seen a groundhog bite? Nasty! Rick

jdemaris said:
stop drop & roll said:

I like the way this guy thinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.