Getting rid of termites???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I have been in the construction biz for over 20 yrs now. I have done extensive repairs on termite infested homes. Now my own house has them. The exterminators want a ton of dough to do an extermination. I know borax is used commonly every where. There are many chemicals you can buy on line, (some of which are only availible in certain states.) Does anyone have any first hand experience getting rid of these bugs with a homebrew method?? I am not one to sit around while someone else does the work if I can do it myself.
Mike

From what I understand termites are subterranean. They travel out of the ground through tunnels that they build up the foundation walls. After feeding on the wood they carry the cellulose they get from the wood back to their underground nest. You must first check around your house and destroy any tunnels you find. Google termite tunnel and you can see what they look like. The ones already in the house will more than likely need to be exposed and killed when you open the wall or whatever to see how much damage has been done . I know you being in the business your in you more than likely know all this, but others may not . As for the way to get rid of them I hear the bait station method is very effective at killing the colony. I believe they now sell this stuff at the box stores. You basically dig holes around the house place what looks like a little bucket affair into the hole and add some small pieces of wood like nice soft pine as bait. The kit comes with some sort of poison that is added to the wood. The termites feed on the wood and return to the nest and poison the colony. It's safer than all the chemicals and it is said that it works better as well. I actually saw this on THIS OLD HOUSE one time. I have not used it but is a do it your self method. Good luck !

Best stuff when I had termites several years ago was Termidor. You apply it around the perimeter of the house; I hired a pro to do it for something like $14/ft but it does look like consumers can buy it (but not in NY). It poisons them slowly, so they bring it back to the colony. It's supposed to last 10 years in the soil.

Edit: BTW, the ones in the house will leave or die within days, as they don't actually live in the house but travel back and forth from the colony (which is out in the ground somewhere).

Thanks for the advice guys. I have heard that the termidor is good but not allowed in ny. I don't see why I couldnt get someone else from another state to get it for me. I cant imagine anyone knowing that I am using something I shouldnt be he in ny. If it really was that bad it would be banned in the other states also. I will research the bait system a bit more and get started asap with some sort of reppelent.

I don't know that it's completely banned in NY, probably just restricted to professionals. It's the same chemical as used to treat pets for fleas (Frontline). I understand it is extremely toxic to bees and aquatic life, so perhaps NY's caution is justified. I can say that the instructions I found on the web were more-or-less what the guy I hired did - trench along the house perimeter and drill every 12" or so through any protruding slab like a porch.

Status
Not open for further replies.