Getting swarmed by bark beetles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dugtoni

May 13, 2022
Vermont
Hi all,

Hoping to have some recommendations on an issue I have been trying to deal with. So I have about a cord of leftover firewood stacked behind my house, and I believe it is the source of a huge swarm of beetles on my back patio recently. They seemed to have started to come out now that the weather has warmed up. I can't even sit out there and enjoy the day after work anymore. I took a photo and uploaded to an Insect Identifier app and it told me it was an ash bark beetle. I have also attached a photo of it. Anyway, there are thousands of these things outside of my house now during the evening when there is shade cast on my back patio (they aren't there earlier in the day when sunny). I am wondering if someone has dealt with a similar issue and how they got rid of these beetles? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Steve

IMG_6158.jpg

images (1).jpg
I
It is not an emerald ash borer. This bug has a brilliant electric-green color. I don't doubt that the bugs come from the firewood pile, don't know what to say except you could get rid of the firewood. I don't like insecticides.

Reactions: dugtoni and clancey
any bug bomb is safe, unless you use the wood to cook on.

If you have a county cooperative extension (likely in VT) give them a call. They usually are very interested to unexpected bug hatches.