Gimme the Lowdown on Suspenders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
Ok. I've worked with and around loggers and rednecks many times. Most dyed in the wool loggers I ever saw wore suspenders instead of a belt. I never did, but lately I'm thinking of giving suspenders a try while working with a saw and trees. What's the advantage or downside versus a belt? I realize this is sort of tangential, but it's kind of related to the category.

Thanks very much.

I find suspenders to be more comfy. that is why I were them plus when bending over for extended periods of time like cutting you don't have belt buckle digging in to ya.

More comfy sure, but a belt keeps the dirt and saw cuttings out if you don't have a jacket over top of them. Suspenders also provide a certain degree of ventilation, making sure you have lots of strong swimmers.

bigr said:
How can you keep your bib overalls up without suspenders?
Oh man, you're bringing up painful memories and are going to make me cry. The wife threw away my Carhartt bib overalls. I sure liked them cuz it kept the dirt from going down my pants. The short suspenders also meant they didn't fall off your shoulder like they did with my Mackinaw wool pants. Damn, she threw those away too!

Never wore suspenders until about 20 years ago. At that time I noticed my back always hurt at the end of a day of hard work ie; bending, squatting, stretching, lifting, awkward positions, etc. I tried suspenders to relieve some pressure on my back and hips and have never gone back to a belt. Some say I look kind of Dorky wearing 2" Stihl orange suspenders but I feel good so who cares?

Purchased a bunch of the "logger buttons", the metal kind you install using a hammer. I now install them on all my work pants. These metal buttons are available from Duluth Trading Co. and White's Boots in Spokane, WA. and probably many other places. "Logger Buttons" is a name used by one manufacturer and you will have to do a search to find other brands.

John_M

loggerbuttons002.jpg

Suspenders meh!...save your money and get a stretch belt.

That way the shirt is over your belt line keeping chips out of your pants...also belts are handy for carrying cell phone, tools etc. Sure suspenders have their place but not for wood cutting.

OK, fyrwoodguy, fess up. Where did you find the Bucksaw brand of suspender straps and logger buttons? I have to fess up, too: I have been trying to find these two items since I left Idaho 5 years ago. I am humiliated that my search skills are so inadequate.

Give us the name, address and phone number of the store if you have it.

Best Wishes,

John_M

I thought suspenders were for when your belly got so big a belt would make you pants fall down below you big belly or the belt isn't big enough. Suspenders will keep your pants up no matter what size your belly......another 10 lbs and I'll be looking for suspenders. Guess I need to get cutting.

John_M said:
OK, fyrwoodguy, fess up. Where did you find the Bucksaw brand of suspender straps and logger buttons? I have to fess up, too: I have been trying to find these two items since I left Idaho 5 years ago. I am humiliated that my search skills are so inadequate.

Give us the name, address and phone number of the store if you have it.

Best Wishes,

John_M

i got the suspenders in black/orange 46"/52"the repair straps and bags of buttons.pm me if interested,i'll ship to you.
suspenders001.jpg

no imprint on both colors available too.

Status
Not open for further replies.