Giving up on Blaze King, hoping for a good backup.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Esterhaze

Aug 14, 2022
Tennessee
I haven't had any luck getting a Blaze King insert in my area (Mid TN) for the last year. I was looking for a solid backup since there isn't really any good examples in showrooms locally. I'm looking for a glass front, aesthetic, efficient insert for a 100 year old Craftsman home. We have resellers in the area for many brands but was hoping to get an opinion since I will be buying blind.

In order to answer we need to know the size of the fireplace, how open is the fireplace room to the rest of the house, how large of an area the insert would be heating, and lastly, what brands are in stock and available locally?

The living room is 18x14 and positioned on the front side of 2200 sqft, traditional closed floor plan. There is a smaller return for the central air in the living room. This would be supplemental, since I have a consistant supply of wood, and not a need. The fireplace is 31"x31"x16" but modifiable a few inches in each dimension. At one time Lopi was the only insert in stock locally but that was awhile back. I also don't mind traveling a bit if I can get something suitable. Regency and some others are available via ordering through local chimney companies but nothing in stock. Sorry if this didn't answer all the questions.

If the living room is isolated by a doorway, then the insert will be primarily heating that room unless there is fan assistance to convect the heat. The 16" depth will be the limiting factor especially if the depth tapers to make it shallower at the top.
Lopi and Regency make some good inserts. Osburn, Quadrafire and Ironstrike inserts are worth considering too. My guess is that a 1.5 cu ft insert may be what fits that depth.

The 16" depth will be the limiting factor especially if the depth tapers to make it shallower at the top.
That dimension is the top after it tapers and without removing or modifying the firebrick at the top. The bottom is probably more in the 18” range.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Great. Most inserts are in the 20-24" tall range so there is room to work with. Aesthetically, are you looking for a fancy stove or just the basics?

I’m open to either. The only requirement is a glass front. A simple modern design or a more decorative surround should both look fine. It’s definitely to enjoy the fire since I don’t know how the house will behave. The look of all three Blaze Kings would have worked well.

Looks like the Osburn 1700 insertwould fit. It needs 14.25" depth at 21" high. This is a 1.9 cu ft stove with a shallower firebox. It's brother, the Drolet 1500 insert, is slightly shallower. The Osburn is a bit fancier. Internally they are pretty much the same, but the Osburn has a C-cast refractory baffle and the Drolet has a vermiculite board baffle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diabel
I’m open to either. The only requirement is a glass front. A simple modern design or a more decorative surround should both look fine. It’s definitely to enjoy the fire since I don’t know how the house will behave. The look of all three Blaze Kings would have worked well.
I'm sorry you were not able to locate one of our inserts. There are about 9 models that qualify for the 25D Tax Credit, we make 3. But this focus by consumers has really put a lot of focus on our company. I'm certain you'll find an insert for your home. Regency makes some good inserts. I also think Kuma's insert is a high performing insert. If you are not concerned with getting tax credit qualifying units, then there are plenty to choose from as BeGreen noted above. Best of luck in your search!

BKVP

I'm sorry you were not able to locate one of our inserts.
It is what it is. The only real bummer was being ghosted so many times and not coming to this conclusion last year.

I’d like the tax credit for the money but also just being ahead on efficiency. I forgot about the Kuma. Thanks for that.

Reactions: BKVP and begreen
Looks like the Osburn 1700 insertwould fit.
I really wish I could burn now and figure out how the house would behave before I bought one. Don’t really know if the return in the living room would work well enough to make a larger or smaller insert the way to go.

I really wish I could burn now and figure out how the house would behave before I bought one. Don’t really know if the return in the living room would work well enough to make a larger or smaller insert the way to go.
Consider getting a used 2015 EPA approved wood insert. Try eBay, Crais'slist etc. Being in the south, they are all probably lightly used. Then you can evaluate to get a better idea what you might need for a "forever wood burning insert".

If the central HVAC system is not fully insulated, the results may be disappointing due to heat loss via the exposed ductwork. In that case, other methods can be used to move the heat.

If the goal is to heat as much of the house as possible, get the larger stove. It can be partially loaded during milder weather if less heat is desired. And yes, look at Kuma's inserts. I didn't find a depth for the Alpine LE insert, but have sent them a note asking for this info.