Glacier Bay Baffle or Bank Plant orientation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rafter Man

Jan 16, 2019
Milford, De
I have a Glacier Bay Wood Stove insert manufactured in/installed around 1979. There is no manual for this stove but my question may be a simple one. There exists at the back of the stove a slanted shelf below the flue outlet that is referred to as a baffle or a bank plate I believe. This plate has a noticeable curve to it when it is installed. It is either dipping down or if flipped it is mounding upward. Nothing about this stove makes me think it was over fired habitually to cause this very heavy gauge steel plate to warp so my question is: Should this plate be installed dipping down or mounding up towards the flue outlet? Or does it not makes a difference at all?

It was probably straight when new. If it is easily removable, you can normally beat them back flat with a large hammer. Thinner plates warp, I've found 5/16 thick stays much straighter than anything thinner. (some are 1/4 inch which most of the stove is made of). Quality stoves will have a thicker (5/16) top and baffle.
It was called a baffle plate, or called a "Smoke Shelf Baffle" by Fisher. A banking plate is a plate that goes across the front of a coal stove to allow the coal to be piled high to the top of the banking plate without falling out the door or against glass. A coal fire is considered "banked" for the night when full.

The company originally was Gibraltar.
Is this the Insert?
https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/GlacierBay_l.pdf

Last edited:
I have a Glacier Bay Wood Stove insert manufactured in/installed around 1979. There is no manual for this stove but my question may be a simple one. There exists at the back of the stove a slanted shelf below the flue outlet that is referred to as a baffle or a bank plate I believe. This plate has a noticeable curve to it when it is installed. It is either dipping down or if flipped it is mounding upward. Nothing about this stove makes me think it was over fired habitually to cause this very heavy gauge steel plate to warp so my question is: Should this plate be installed dipping down or mounding up towards the flue outlet? Or does it not makes a difference at all?
If you can't straighten it out (try driving over it with a heavy truck or van) you could make a pattern out of cardboard and take it to a welding shop and have them fabricate you a new one. If you do, don't make the pattern tight to the walls as you will need room to drop it in and it will need room to expand during firing.