xman23 Posted By xman23, Nov 27, 2016 at 8:43 PM

1. xman23

xman23
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    My wife blackened the glass last night. I have been using Fireview glass cleaner from spray 9 for years. They reformulated it a few years ago. It still works but not as good as it did.

Any one use another commercial cleaner you like?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Typically I only get blackened glass if a split rolls up against the glass . . . although I get some fly ash covering the glass making it not as crystal clear. Usually, some wet paper towels or newspaper will suffice to clean it.

If that fails I dip the paper towel/newspaper in a bit of the fine ash to clean it . . . another alternative for me is to simply wait it out as a subsequent secondary burn (I realize your stove may not have secondary burns) will burn most of it off.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    7acres, cygnus, toddnic and 2 others like this.
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2012
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    Seems like most use the Rutland brand glass cleaner. I used it once but actually prefer Jake's method, except I use a damp microfiber cloth dipped in the white ash. The Rutland stuff seemed to smear a little, but it does work.

4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Paper towels and vinegar. I'll break out the scrubbing pad that's safe for ceramic cooktops, if needed.

5. SusanB

SusanB
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2016
    Loc:
    SW Ontario
    I slightly dampened a paper towel and dip in fine ash - cleans up perfect.

cygnus likes this.
  6. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Oven easy off. New razor blade to take off any stubborn bits.

7. toddnic

toddnic
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 13, 2013
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    Dampened paper towel and some fine ash to get the tough areas clean. I never use a commercial cleaner....

8. mellow

mellow
    Resident Stove Connoisseur 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
  9. Huntindog1

Huntindog1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2011
    Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    I second that!

"I slightly dampened a paper towel and dip in fine ash - cleans up perfect."

10. jatoxico

jatoxico
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2011
    Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Been using Easy Off since I got my stove. Have used ash in a pinch and it works well I use it sparingly because I'm worried I'm going to pick up sand and grit that will scratch the glass.

11. cygnus

cygnus
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2010
    Loc:
    Central, NJ
    I third that!

"I slightly dampened a paper towel and dip in fine ash - cleans up perfect."

12. mellow

mellow
    Resident Stove Connoisseur 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    I used to have newspapers to dip in the ash, that was one good use for them as it didn't leave lint behind.