Glass Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
My wife blackened the glass last night. I have been using Fireview glass cleaner from spray 9 for years. They reformulated it a few years ago. It still works but not as good as it did.

Any one use another commercial cleaner you like?

Typically I only get blackened glass if a split rolls up against the glass . . . although I get some fly ash covering the glass making it not as crystal clear. Usually, some wet paper towels or newspaper will suffice to clean it.

If that fails I dip the paper towel/newspaper in a bit of the fine ash to clean it . . . another alternative for me is to simply wait it out as a subsequent secondary burn (I realize your stove may not have secondary burns) will burn most of it off.

Any one use another commercial cleaner you like?
Seems like most use the Rutland brand glass cleaner. I used it once but actually prefer Jake's method, except I use a damp microfiber cloth dipped in the white ash. The Rutland stuff seemed to smear a little, but it does work.

Paper towels and vinegar. I'll break out the scrubbing pad that's safe for ceramic cooktops, if needed.

Last edited:
Dampened paper towel and some fine ash to get the tough areas clean. I never use a commercial cleaner....

I second that!

"I slightly dampened a paper towel and dip in fine ash - cleans up perfect."

Been using Easy Off since I got my stove. Have used ash in a pinch and it works well I use it sparingly because I'm worried I'm going to pick up sand and grit that will scratch the glass.

I third that!

"I slightly dampened a paper towel and dip in fine ash - cleans up perfect."

Status
Not open for further replies.