Glass front breaking on my Temco direct vent gas fireplace dv-1200N

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tahoetime

Dec 10, 2021
South lake Tahoe
House was built in 2001 and we bought it 2 yrs ago. Fireplace worked fine until late this spring when the thermocoupler went out. Fireplace shop sent out technician to replace it. The glass front panel is secured by 4 clips, 2 above and 2 below. For some reason I had unhooked these and lifted the glass ( in its thin metal frame) away prior to the tech arriving. I dropped it and it shattered on the hearth( tempered glass, 1000 small pieces). I took the frame to a glass shop and they put in a new piece of tempered glass and put it back in the frame for me. When the tech arrived to change thermocoupler and recoup the glass front in place, the dimension was off by a small amount, but large enough to not allow the Clips to latch properly around the frame. Claimed liability issues ( rightfully so as I was to find out). Had no solution to offer for me. Called the only other shop in town and new tech stated the glass needed to be recut, and I had him give me the proper dimensions, bought it and had the tech put the glass back in the frame , he also put in new gasket material for the glass panel to rest against around the edge of the fireplace box. Clips now attached properly. Maybe 5 days/uses go by and one day the glass explodes. Fireplace had been on about 4 hrs or so. Tech comes back and suggests pyroceram glass, which I bought for $540. He uses a high temperature glue when securing it back in the frame and we wait 72 hrs before reclipping the glass to fireplace. 4-5 days go buy and my wife notices the glass has slipped down about 1/2-1 inch from the top piece of the frame. Tech comes out again, this time using a high temp cement to secure the glass In the frame. wait 72 hrs and then reclip to fireplace. 3 days later, after operating the fireplace for about 4 hrs, the pyroceram cracks and breaks across the top about a half hr after the fireplace had been turned off. So far I must have close to $1400 in glass and service trips, I think the tech has no more ideas other than to get a new fireplace, any suggestions? Fwiw, Temco has been out of business for many years and buying the replacement glass and/or frame from a fireplace parts supplier is not a solution, I’ve called almost every major supplier and nobody has those parts anymore, and if they did it would probably be tempered glass. Glass company and second tech both are long term well respected firms I. The area with good reputations. Next nearest fireplace companies are an hr away and want $200 or so just to come and look at the situation.
fireplace and clip photos below-

Help please!
Chris

DB5B28AF-B4A0-430E-A3CA-52DE4B7EA341.jpeg 587E9AC8-189A-4CCF-ACFB-6C1F2C575F52.jpeg