Glass hearth extender

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsie8

Hearth Supporter
one of the installers told me that he had seen a tempered glass, hearth extender before. You can see thru it, so it won't hide th floor under it and it is low profile, so not to add to tripping hazard. Does anyone know a website or place I can find these?

Morso (a stove company) makes some of these, although I suppose you could get one made up in any decent glass shop. If the extension is well below the stove so that it is not required to have a R value, this would do (for sparks, embers). But if you need actual protection from radiant heat, it won't do the job.

my insert is in the fireplace and the hearth is about 14 above the ground, like a bench. 6 inches short of making the 16 inch requirement. Do you think this will work?

Don't drop a split on it, that would suck to have to replace.
And keep a gallon of glass cleaner nearby, your going to need it ;)

woodsie8 is stating that the hearth is 14 inches off the ground, but only 10 inches of ledge in front of the insert.

However, isn't it now 18 inches for code, so woodsie8's install is 8 inches short of requirement.

“Give me your pine, your popple,
Your tightly knotted yearning to split free,
The wretched uglies of your teeming score.
Send these, the stoveless, tempest-tost to me,
I light my fire beside the Jotul door!”

Zambo, you're setting a new and very high standard for signatures. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.