Glass on Pellet Stove - Am I Okay To Run For A Few Days Like This?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jmshuhart

Mar 5, 2019
Upstate NY
Beyond frustrated :) But I mean, I can't go more than like 1-2 weeks with a properly functioning stove, so here I am.

Had the glass gasket replaced last week, and when it was being put back on, I told my boyfriend that it was hand tighten only, and he kept cranking on it. Even after I told him twice. Clearly, I am the one who figures out the pellet stove problems, what needs to be done to fix them, order the parts & then tell him how to fix them... he just turns the wrenches. Anyway... it didn't crack. After 3 days, I noticed a little line that wasn't collected soot on the glass, it kinda looked like a water drop had gone down it? I didn't think too much of it. Cleaned, started up again. 3 days later, glass kinda doesn't look right as far as soot on it goes. Shut down to clean, then I get a good look at it. Yep, the glass has a bunch of tiny looking shatters in it on both sides. Nothing is deep, and most are small (1/4"). I'm ordering a replacement right now from England Stove Works (goodbye another $100)... am I okay to run my stove for a few days until it comes in? If yes, am I okay to leave my house with it like this? I pray it comes in in one piece, I've never had to order a piece of glass like this online before.

I think it's okay short term, stove low. I had a friend with a legit crack down the center of the glass & they used some sort of heat glass glue or something to put it back together & they continued to use it, I was like that's crazy my friend, I will pass on that lol

Here's a video of the glass... I used a flashlight so you could kinda see some of the little cracks. Again, they aren't deep at all, but a replacement is ordered & I'm just wondering about the time between now & receiving it in the mail.

The video shows nothing but I'll take your word for it. You probably can but I would not leave it unattended. My 2 cents. Finger tight next time.

The video shows nothing but I'll take your word for it. You probably can but I would not leave it unattended. My 2 cents. Finger tight next time.
The sparkles in the glass are little cuts in the glass. Bursts? Cracks? All minor but there. Most of it looks like it's between the panes. Hard to get video or pics so I tried shinig a flashlight to pick up the sparkles.

You will be fine till it’s replaced. It’s actually not glass, its a clear ceramic

Okay, thanks! I figure if something happened, it'd error out the stove & it'd just shut down. Unless it exploded, but don't think that will happen.
If it broke the stove would pick up a vacuun leak and stop feeding pellets..

Reactions: Washed-Up
I hope the BF is paying the tab.

Myself, I would not risk it. Let's say it did explode (as some stoves have done in the past) and send flying shards outward. That could be a life-altering event. What risk are you ok with?

I broke one years ago. It did shatter, just cracked. Like is stated above it's not glass (like window pane), it's clear ceramic which is why it's not cheap.

When the BF replaces it this time. make sure the gasket is between the glass and the metal hold downs and finger tight and no more. Ham fisted don't work.