Glossy spickle build up inside entire Grandma Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kencote

Oct 21, 2022
West Michigan
Top of the morning from first time poster in West Michigan. Last week I installed a cleaned recently painted Grand Ma Bear stove in my basement. After a couple of days of figuring out how to control the fires and not over fire it I noticed a glossy hard speckle coat inside the entire stove. It is solid like it was a baked on enamel finish that was not like this prior to my first burn.

I was wondering if this is normal, what caused it and should I be concerned?

Thanks

Screenshot_20221015-133705.png Screenshot_20221022-051455.png

Top of the morning from first time poster in West Michigan. Last week I installed a cleaned recently painted Grand Ma Bear stove in my basement. After a couple of days of figuring out how to control the fires and not over fire it I noticed a glossy hard speckle coat inside the entire stove. It is solid like it was a baked on enamel finish that was not like this prior to my first burn.

I was wondering if this is normal, what caused it and should I be concerned?

Thanks

View attachment 301104 View attachment 301105
It's creosote. Burn hotter or use dryer wood. You will get some of that with old primative stoves like these but that's allot for a short period of time

It's creosote. Burn hotter or use dryer wood. You will get some of that with old primative stoves like these but that's allot for a short period of time
The wood is heat treated and very dry. I'm thinking I may have gone from over burn to barely burning status. I just read that there is a powered I can add to my next burn that will losen it is and burn it off.

Thanks for the response.

Heat treated may not result in the wood being dry. Often it is only done to kill any bugs.

Did you measure the moisture content?

Having choked it down too much indeed is a possibility too.

Yes was at 15% has been inside for over a year. I'm betting it's from being choked then.
Thanks
Get a pipe thermometer. Running a stove without one can be pretty difficult especially without glass doors

Get a pipe thermometer. Running a stove without one can be pretty difficult especially without glass doors
Have one on 18" above the stove pipe outlet on the flue pipe. Fire was at 650 degrees I had to shut it down to 300 as I know that's way too hot and a waste of wood. I'm having a 22.5 inch x 9 inch baffle plate made to help eliminate most of the heat from exiting the stove through the chimney.

Thanks for your reply.