Glow in the dark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SCOTT S.

Burning Hunk
Mar 22, 2014
Waupaca WI
does anyone make a glow in the dark flue temperature gauge? Our living room is fairly dark in the evening and I have to get up and walk across to check the gauge. I’m sure the exercise isn’t hurting me but it’s annoying.

I use a tiny LED flash light I keep on my mantle. Not aware of any glow in the dark thermo.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Flashlight and compact binoculars!

This something that’s never crossed my mind...get yourself a BK, no worries!

I have a bk but like to keep an eye on it before I close the damper. Thanks for the replies I figured it was worth a shot.

Yup, same worries as any other stove until the bypass is closed.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yup, same worries as any other stove until the bypass is closed.
Unlike any other stove with a bypass I’ve had, my Woodstock will roar with the bypass open. I mean it will really go crazy in just a few minutes! The bypass is really small, 90 off the back, 2 45’s at the ceiling. It’s surprising to me, I’ve got to really watch it close.

Reactions: begreen
Are you against going digital?
Auber makes small digital readouts that are visible from a long distance.
I have a couple around for no other reason than I can see them at all times of the day.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 239
Are you against going digital?
Auber makes small digital readouts that are visible from a long distance.
I have a couple around for no other reason than I can see them at all times of the day.
I have one of those that kicks on the high speed fan at a set point. An alarm can also be attached.
Alas, since I wear bifocals, I have to squint to see the red numbers and it gets worse at night. I've tried trifocal and progressive lenses, but they haven't worked out for me in the past.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Unlike any other stove with a bypass I’ve had, my Woodstock will roar with the bypass open.
You don't want that...don't open the air as far. ;) I generally don't have it much over 2 once any wood is catching well, and cut it to under 2 before long. As you've seen, under 2, small adjustments make a big difference.
But as to temps, I go by a flue meter lying on the tee snout, but I can pretty much tell what's going on by looking at how much flame is going through the bypass or listening to clicks from the flue. I do still look at the meter though. I've been toughing it out, and standing up if I want to look at the meter. ;)

Last edited:
Nope! I want it up to temp as fast as possible. If it can’t handle it I’ll replace it with something that can! ==c
Any stove will handle a roaring fire...for a while. I don't drive to the grocery with my foot to the floorboard, either. :oops: I respect a machine, even if it is a simple one.
I assume you are half-kidding since you said you "keep an eye on it." I know you have your bypass retainer thingies to worry about... ;)

Reactions: webby3650
Any stove will handle a roaring fire...for a while. I don't drive to the grocery with my foot to the floorboard, either. :oops: I respect a machine, even if it is a simple one.
I assume you are half-kidding since you said you "keep an eye on it." I know you have your bypass retainer thingies to worry about... ;)
Ya, I’m just funnin.

For sure! I always try to best my time getting to 800 STT.

Temp range might be a little low, but this is glow in the dark.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-23-07-56-24~2.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-23-07-56-24~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 166