Glowing insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I noticed on my Summit that the white insulation that surrounds the secondary air box is glowing. You can see the insulation if you look through the window. It's towards the front and on top where the smoke exits. Is it it normal for the insulation in this part of the stove to glow? It happens when the secondary air is burning.

Thanks Karl

Mine glows too on the edges, been told its normal.

The fibers are very thin with almost no heat storage capacity, so they tend to be at combustion temperature. They help the baffle plate stay hot as long as possible and reduces radiant heat transfer to the stove top. But the fiber is entirely oxide, so until one gets to temperatures that will melt the fiber (over 1000c) there is no harm done.

I have never seen mine glow...

stonehouse said:
How often should that stuff be replaced?

If it get damaged or starts falling apart. Otherwise it lasts for a long long time.

Summit owners seem to buy the baffle gaskets by the case from what I have seen here. :)

Yes we do :) but we are talking about insulation not gaskets.

Gunner said:

Got five of those Loonies that says what he is talking about is the baffle gaskets.

stonehouse said:
How often should that stuff be replaced?
I had to replace one side of mine because a squirrel got down the chimney and crawled into it and died. I only noticed it after seeing the woodstove FULL of flies, so I took it apart and found the culprit (YUCK!). :sick:
The replacement pieces were $28, available as a set, and yes, I picked a couple of baffle gaskets too.... %-P

I notice mine glowing, too, as well as the side rails and baffle when I really have 'er goin'... :coolsmile:

BrotherBart said:
Gunner said:

Got five of those Loonies that says what he is talking about is the baffle gaskets.

Don't think so BB the baffle gasket cannot be seen... and it's gasket not gaskets.

I'll PM you my address for the 5 loonies.....which will cost you 5.50 in american peso's :lol:

Bart,just send send him a 12 pack of nat light.

Status
Not open for further replies.