Godin jurassien or jotul F400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

questforfire

Sep 2, 2022
Lachute, Quebec
Hello all,
I have a choice between a used, like-new Godin Jurassien and a used, like new Jotul F400...
I think either would work for our situation (to install in front of, and rear-vented into an existing masonry fireplace), I have looked at the company spec sheets, but Im just wondering if anyone has any insights beyond that that they think would be significant to consider in making our choice. I dont seem to be able to find a lot of commentary on the Godin jurassien (which i think is different from the Drolet Jurassien, if im not mistaken...?)
thanks for any input you can offer.

I'd go for the Jotul F400. It's a recent model with good documentation, support, and parts.

How large of an area will the stove be heating?

well it would be heating about 1100 sq feet id say...there is also a basement that has its own stove already -- would be nice to only have to fire the one but i dont expect we could get much of the heat down there even with a fan at the top of the staircase. The priority is to heat the main floor, of 1100 sq ft, which the basement stove cant manage on its own.

The F400 will be ok.

Do you know if the Jurrasen is the wood or the coal model?

I like my F400. Parts are available. Proven design. Check ashpan door and main door with the dollar bill test to make sure they seal well. Don’t ever open the ashpan door while burning

That Godin is a nice looking stove! So is the Jotul though. That Godin is a multi-fuel stove. It's DNA coal. Any of the Godin's are firstly coal. You can burn wood in them but not easily regulated or efficient with wood. If your going to burn wood only then go with the Jotul. If your thinking about being a coal burner then the Godin may be it for you and just burn wood in the shoulder season maybe? Coal is a long even heat. On that Godin maybe 12 hours between reloads (with coal). If your buying your wood anyways......... Just saying.

Yes, i agree - if it were looks alone i would go for the Godin (this one is a nice blue enamel), but they are both beautiful. i didnt know the Godins were all primarily coal burning - I think we will likely stick with wood. Im wondering what the burn times would be for wood, for the Godin and the F400 -- would we be able to have overnight burns?

When it’s cold 6 hours max on the F400. Its a good radiant stove to it heats fast but it’s too small to burn over night.