going to look at gassifiers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2009
WV
Well I first posted on here about which OWB to choose. After reading for days on here I am now leaning toward the gassifier I'm about an hour from a dealer for Attack DP and BioMass. He also sells Eko but it will not fit for my installation.
Any thoughts on the two brands above??
My house currently has a propane boiler. The metal tag says that the htg. capacity input is 164,000 BTU.
The label also reads htg. output 138,000 btu/hr.
The dealer told me by looking at this he can tell me what size boiler I will need. So my question is what is my heating need not sure what htg input is?
Also, with this size of a system would 500 gallons of pressurized storage really make any difference or would i have to go larger.

If you talk to heating pros, they say that sizing a boiler based on the size of the boiler it is replacing is bad practice. They highly recommend doing a heat loss calculation on your house in order to come up with an up-to-date and accurate number. You can download a free heat-loss calculator from heatinghelp.com.

That said, wood-fired boilers come in a limited number of sizes, and based on what it would replace, I'd say that the Biomass 40 would be just about right for your space. You might even get away with an EKO 25. I don't think there's anything in between, unless Attack sells a 30 KW boiler, which they might.

I can't comment on either, though we do have several members here with Biomass (formerly BioMax) boilers, and they seem pretty happy. It's a pretty proven technology (downdraft gasification).

I would trust what Zenon recommends. He's a good guy and is the importer for all three brands mentioned. Please tell him I said hi.

On the storage, any storage is probably better than no storage, though plenty of people, me included, have had great results running without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.