gonna install first wood burner...advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsandlin0803

Dec 23, 2008
Eastern KY
Hey guys. I am going to be installing my first wood burning stove. I am getting started this weekend when a warm front moves in.

I just bought an Engalnder 1800sqft stove from Lowes and will be getting the necessary stove and chimney pipe tomorrow.

I need to know what you guys suggest doing for my situation.

I have an older house with an existing fireplace. I am going to line it with rigid pipe. There is the hole in the front of the brick where I can put my 6" pipe through. It has a liner and everything looks good. I just feel better if I reline the whole thing with a pipe.

What do you guys suggest on me to get for the pipe that goes up the chimney? I plan on using single wall stove pipe to get into the inside, but not sure if I can use the single wall stove pipe all the way up since I do not have any past experience.

Should/Can I use single wall stove pipe until i get out the top, then use SS pipe?

The chimney is in the middle of the house and does not hit air until it exits the roof.

Thanks in advance...

I'm a little confused. You say you are lining the flue with a rigid liner, but then you ask what pipe you can use in the flue? You can line the existing masonry flue with a rigid stainless steel liner or a flexible stainless steel liner. You can NOT use the black stove pipe to line your existing flue.

Please read this article to get an idea of what you need to do to create a safe install.

http://www.woodstove.com/pages/masonry.html

You'll get a few wide-ranging responses, I'm sure. Just to head a few off at the pass, you could a) post photos of the current fireplace, and b) give more details about the "existing liner".

Just for kicks, 'cause you'll probably ask soon anyways :)

c) how's the hearth setup vs requirements?

d) how's your firewood situation?

jsandlin0803 said:
What do you guys suggest on me to get for the pipe that goes up the chimney? I plan on using single wall stove pipe to get into the inside, but not sure if I can use the single wall stove pipe all the way up since I do not have any past experience.

Should/Can I use single wall stove pipe until i get out the top, then use SS pipe?

Okay, after reading that again I see more clearly what you are asking. You can not use single wall stove pipe (the black stuff) to line your masonry flue. You will need a rigid or flexible stainless steel liner as suggested in the link I provided above.

Here's a nice video detailing the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRauuzjI-H4

Thanks for the replies.

I will research the liners to see what would be the cheapest for me to do, but still have a safe install.

I was also going to ask...Why can I not use the black pipe inside the flue? Will it rust out? I am just curious for the reason why not.

Also, I am not sure if the top of my chimney extends far enough out of the roof to meet the required 2ft. above anything 10ft or less away. If I use a flex liner could I extend on up past the brick of my chimney to the height that I need with class A pipe?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.