Good brand/sources for new cast iron radiation units

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom Griffin

Mar 25, 2012
Ideally, I'd like to eliminate a bit of my fin baseboard in favor of old cast iron radiators if I can find them (I have a bunch installed already and really like the heat) or even the new then wall mounted cast iron things that I've seen.

Also, what are the best sites for heat loss calculations? I'd like to balance my heat a bit better than it is now. In the 20 years since my initial install, I've removed various walls.

One last question: At the current time, I don't heat my upstairs, and none of the loss calculators I've seen have any category for this. I do intend to eventually put a loop up there for occasional use.

You have to treat your unheated space as a "plenum", since you lose heat from the first floor to there, and then from there to the outside.

Easiest way is to run a load on the ceiling of your first floor like its a roof with a minimal R value, and assume that the outdoor temps are 45 or so (or whatever it is that your upstairs is without heat). Then for the upstairs, calc it as your normally would. Those loss values should get you close.

Not sure if I can post it here but I have a spreadsheet that calculates btu output of baseboard at different temps, heat loss of house at different temps, btu's stored, boiler runtime, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.