Good read. Hardwood vrs Softwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
Hardwood vs Softwood
An Outside article for what it;s worth
Whether your wood pellets are made from hardwood sawdust or softwood sawdust will have absolutely no influence whatsoever regarding how those pellets will burn. Many people will argue that only hardwood pellets should be burned in their stove and conversely, some people will argue that softwood pellets are the only way to go. NEITHER OF THESE AGRUMENTS HOLDS WATER!

You do not want to burn softwood in a WOOD STOVE (as opposed to a pellet stove) if you can avoid it. This is because in a wood stove, hardwood will burn hotter and longer than softwood will and softwood will burn much dirtier.

Now, let me break this down in two parts. First, the only reason that hardwood burns hotter and longer in a wood stove is because hardwood, in its natural state, has a much higher density that softwood does. For instance, when you have two equal sized pieces of wood, and one is oak (hardwood) and the other is pine (softwood) you will get much more heat out of the oak than you will the pine. However, if you took a ten pound piece of oak and compared it to a ten pound piece of pine, the piece of oak is going to be much smaller than the pine. But, in ten pounds of oak, there is just as much energy (or heat) as there is in ten pounds of pine. This all comes down to density, and all wood, on a dry basis, will have equal amounts of energy (heat/BTUs) per pound.

But, remember that with wood pellets, they all start out as sawdust. And regardless of whether the sawdust is hardwood, softwood or a mixture of the two, they will all get compressed to the same high density regardless of whether the sawdust is oak, pine, maple, fir, cherry or any other species of wood. This is an absolute fact and something that is often a source of confusion for many wood pellet burners. Therefore, there really is no such thing as a “hard” wood pellet or a “soft” wood pellet….there’s just wood pellets!

This takes us to a statement that I made earlier here, that softwood, IN A WOODSTOVE, (in its natural state) will burn much dirtier than hardwood. This is true… but here is why. If you have ever seen a pine tree, you will see the sap, or pitch, oozing in spots where either the bark has been scraped or a branch has broken off. This pitch, when burned, will create a lot of creosote and the burn will be very dirty. But understand that this pitch only exists in the outer living layer of bark on a tree. Good, clean wood pellets, whether hardwood or softwood, will have no bark in them. A good clean softwood pellet will look nice and pure, almost blonde in color. There should be no bark in them and therefore, no pitch. Therefore, unlike firewood in a woodstove, softwood pellets will have the same high density as hardwood pellets and will burn just as clean as hardwood pellets if the bark is removed.

That’s not to say that all softwood pellets are great, nor are all hardwood pellets great. Truth is, there are some great hardwood pellets out there and there are some lousy hardwood pellets out there as well. And at the same time, there are some great softwood pellets out there and there are some lousy softwood pellets out there as well. What I am really trying to emphasize here is that whether a wood pellet is made of hardwood sawdust or softwood sawdust will have no bearing or influence over the quality of that specific wood pellet. What really matters is how clean the raw materials are that make up that pellet and how low the moisture content is- that’s this big difference!

Informative read. Of course since we as consumers have no knowledge of the quality of the raw materials of any pellet, it's still buy & try on our end. That's why I love this forum. Spent a year reading here before we bought and the sharing of stove and pellet info/experiences is invaluable.

Sam

Informative read. Of course since we as consumers have no knowledge of the quality of the raw materials of any pellet, it's still buy & try on our end. That's why I love this forum. Spent a year reading here before we bought and the sharing of stove and pellet info/experiences is invaluable.

Sam
wow.. same here...
went cross eyes from reading pretty much every post night after night for like forever before we settled on a Harman and had a good idea of what pellets
to stay away from...

Does anyone call you Maurice? :)

I like this thread because of a USDA study I read indicating that softwood like white pine produced more BTU/lb and less ash than hardwoods like oak. However I am now reminded that they were referring to wood, not wood products like pellets.

Does anyone call you Maurice? :)

I like this thread because of a USDA study I read indicating that softwood like white pine produced more BTU/lb and less ash than hardwoods like oak. However I am now reminded that they were referring to wood, not wood products like pellets.
Exactly.....
Hardwood vrs Softwoods when burning timber is a different story...
by the time they become manufactured pellets, it;s a different story again..

This article talks about cord wood, and contradicts the USDA study...

I trust the USDA study more.

both will keep ya warm in the winter which is what matters..
which type gives more heat is splitting hairs except when it comes to lower ash which Softwoods are usually less abundant..

Status
Not open for further replies.