Good value poly brush for cleaning flex liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I need to clean my 1 year old 6" round flex liner. Who sells a good value brush? I'm seeing prices all over the map with no indication of quality.

You checking out amazon?

I can't remember if I bought the rutland or the imperial, but either is on amazon with good reviews for about 8 bucks or 10 bucks.

No matter which you buy or where you buy it from, you aren't going to know the fit till you put it to the chimney liner you have.

My chimney hasn't had squat to worry about in it since I installed the liner, so I just bought one of these cheaper ones since there never is any scrubbing that really needs to be done and dropping it down is just a matter of knocking off light powdery soot.

Mine is a straight shot and I had the rods already. If you have some bends in your setup you need to navigate, or another other-than-standard situation, then I'd perhaps start to get more picky with which brush to go with, but otherwise, just find something that'll get the job done.

pen

Those Amazon options look fine and price is right ;) but I'm unsure about the size of the threaded part. The cheaper models you mentioned (Rutland, Imperial) both list a 1/4" threaded end. I just measured my existing 8" wire brush and it has a 1/2" threaded end. I will toss the 8" brush but wanted to keep using my existing flexible extension rods as they are in good shape.

I wonder if I am measuring correctly? I put my measure across the width of the threaded area...came out to 0.5". And the thought of the 6-inch brush only being 1/4" sure sounds small. Do you think the Amazon info is correct? Only 1/4"

The best I can tell you is I have two sets of rods that have fit the brushes that I have come into contact with. The smaller set in the first pic (I put a pic below of my small diameter and larger diameter rods), fits whichever brush it was I bought off of amazon to do the 6 inch liner.

My guess, is that the 1/4 inch is the thread pitch. Only reason I bought this new brush was to use the poly on the stainless, each brush I had used in the past was metal.

. DSCN0233.JPG DSCN0234.JPG

If you get stuck, leave a post and I'm guessing someone around here can help with an adapter fitting.

My guess is that what you are looking at is similar to the first pic, and the same as what fits my 6 inch poly brush.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.