Google Event

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem. The Pioneer eight track recorder is sitting on the shelf. Bought it in 1972 and used it twice.
and...I bet you remember exactly...dollars and cents what you paid for it...
Just sayin...
laughing.gif

My point exactly. Technology is wonderful in its rightful place. Ashame it has to be rammed down the throats of the basic family unit during the precious little time we have to spend with each other these days.................................
Ditto.

Troglodyte.==c

Don't blame the electronics. It is easy to set down or walk away from. I sit in front of enough horse power (computational) to send the next man to the moon. I do this every working day for an average of 9 or 10 hrs a day. Once I leave, I only have my phone, and that rarely comes off of my hip. Then I get my hands dirty. It is a balance. Some people don't know how to do that. Young kids were raised with this stuff in their hands from the day they could focus. To them it is perfectly normal. Its us old people that have a problem with it. (Yeah and my grandmother would literally "slap" the hat off of my head if I dared to sit at the dinner table with it on)

y'all just inspired me to write apps for all the great "Fun and Games of Yesteryear"....iKickthecan,iRedRover,iFreezetag,and of course iHideandSeek.
gimme a few days to put it all together.....

iJacks, iTiddleWinks, iKickTheCan, iSetTheCatOnFire, iSitInTheCorner...

iPickupStix, iChutesnLadders, iCandyland, iSorry

Reactions: Jags
"That is of course, unless it's lost or hacked. It certainly would allow a fast review of one's life."
For anyone's perusal.
Don't like the idea that all my stuff is possibly accessible. Think of all the hacks that have been perpetrated in the last few years. Not that I have so much interesting stuff, but if it's just out there on someone's server, what happens to it when they go belly up? Too many things to go wrong. GPS is great too, unless someone (or the gov.) wants to know where you've been spending your time, and can coordinate who you've been spending it with.
Maybe I'm just paranoid.

"The days of instant bootup"
Already here.

The proper terminology is PFM (pure effin magic). Delta, there will be nothing stopping you from personally storing your data either. External drives and USB drives will still be compatible with these portals. In a cloud there is probably LESS chance of loosing data because of the redundancy and failover practices in place. Its not like there is just ONE giant Google hard drive.

As technology changes, the "Cloud" data will be brought over with it. That 5-1/4 floppy just got copied onto a Petabyte drive array with raid 5 protection.

What's to keep the "cloud" from selling data at some point? Some will say "oh, that won't happen", but look at Facebook "terms of service".
Someone will come up with Raid 27 at some point, and I have no idea how that might work;lol (I've done raid in the past).

It is of course your choice to use or not to use. But hearth dot com as a cave drawing probably won't have the same draw.

you guys do know that there are a whole host of USB-->RCA pieces of hardware yes? that said....I'm feelin boh of those things....maybe a combo piece, must have full 1/4" headphone jack too....none of this 1/8" mini junk. I have classic Sansui 8-Track player we can work with. Must find 8 track collection now...I have Iron Butterfly and West Side Story Soundtrack!
My collection bit the dust quite a while back. Try to play one.
You might be disappointed.;hm

Brother-in-law has one. They've been in the mainstream for a few years. They come with software to rip the music to your pc.
I bet you actually knew that though.

Actually didn't know that.

Too bad that they weren't uploaded to the cloud.>>

Uh,.....then why have the cloud? Or, were you being facetious?
Already doing that.

Not facetious at all. It would feel pretty goofy to have your life's collection of crap in "The Cloud" and the company goes out of business or cuts you off for not paying your bill.

Reactions: PapaDave
HAHA, they were toast before the cloud existed. I checked.
If anything, they would have been on my NAS.:cool: Redundantly.

Its funny that you should say that, but you just brought out one of the most important parts of cloud computing...
All your stuff SHOULD be backed up at home. But when your home burns down (taking this to the extreme), you still got all your stuff - in the cloud (I am talking about pics and tax returns and stuff like that). AND it is accessible anywhere, anytime. Redundancy is a good thing.

Don't worry. 'Puters ain't going anywhere for quite some time.

Reactions: PapaDave
dont worry folks...last nite I discovered/confirmed that Tangerine Dream albums are available on iTunes....everything is right in the world....long live the cloud!

I have all same stuff on CD...I bet most of the actual vinyl is bad as I bought them at flea markets and whatnot, but I really did only buy them for liner notes and cover art. I have most of the Yes albums (the ones Roger Dean did art for) up on my walls.

I've been slowly converting our records to mp3. My son loves music of the late-60's to 70's and has been a help with this. Just got Procol Harem's Salty Dog converted and Zappa's Hot Rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.