Google Event

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little update on cloud computing. Amazon's cloud data center in Ashburn, VA took it in the shorts Friday night. Power and telco. The fail-safe place failed. Knocked down Netflix and some others. It is causing a whole bunch of people to start questioning the government trying to move everything into "The Cloud".

Yup. Sometimes it's good for nature to correct man's arrogance. This was a dopeslap aimed squarely at DC.

At the oil company we had a small hardened data center in Kansas City for processing credit card transactions. They ran Tandem "non-stop" computers. Had a big multi-day outage one time and the next week one of the programmers was in Fairfax to work with me on some things. I asked what had happened. She said "The non-stop computers, stopped.".

Little update on cloud computing. Amazon's cloud data center in Ashburn, VA took it in the shorts Friday night. Power and telco. The fail-safe place failed. Knocked down Netflix and some others. It is causing a whole bunch of people to start questioning the government trying to move everything into "The Cloud".

Aaannnnd, there ya go. My concerns confirmed. This stuff happens all the time. Datacenters hacked by "nobodies". Information taken. My terminology may be faulty, but you get the drift.
We're all doomed.:cool:

Amazon did it on purpose. So people would have to read on their Kindle.

Reactions: Jags
Got me thinking here. Gotta get to work on that USB turntable.

Someone else with a pile of 33 and 45rpm records up in the attic then!

Along with my dinosaur of a projector and thousands of 35mm slides.......must get it all down next winter.

Now that's a way to get rid of friends who have perched themselves near the stove and look like they might move in......... two problems solved in one ;)

Reactions: PapaDave
Really? my son at the table in a restaurant a few years texting instead of talking. He was 20 @ the time, I made a remark about paying attention to the live people around him, & looking them in the eye when he spoke. That's the way he was raised. He apologized, then 10 min later replied to another text. I took his very expensive "smart" phone & installed it in the water pitcher. No problems since, we can have a face to face chat w/o interruption. I'm not against technology, but at what cost? Wireless service or electric fails, & people aren't even gonna know how talk to someone any more. I'm with rottiman on this one. A C

Man, sounds like something I would do!

Status
Not open for further replies.