Got a new roof put on last week...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’ve pulled my pipe from the top. Roof pitch and chimney height/weight play a big part of that though. Easy peasy on 6/12 or less.

To close my case off: they refused, it went to the COO. He told me I had to pay $1000 for them to come out and fix it, and I had to sign a waiver for water leakage. And if I would do it myself, it'd void the warranty...

No can do.

So I contacted the chimney mfg ("yes, any combustible"), contacted the underlayment and shingle mfg ("yes, underlayment is fire retardant, but not non-combustible - that'd be another UL listing").

Of course none wanted to comment on the other's product and how the two products could work together, even when given the UL listing numbers of each other's products. I sent my roofing company these inputs. No budging.

As the mfgs did not give explicit "nope" ("We can't say whether that part can be this close to our chimney, the only thing we can say is ..." etc.), I eventually contacted UL. That took 10 weeks or so, with numerous promises of a response.
However, when that response finally came in, I was able to screenshot everything (mfg and UL emails) and send it back to my roofing company.

Then the COO summarily told his crew manager (or whatever the name of that role is) to arrange for this to be fixed.
They came out and fixed it.

I hope they educated their workers in how to properly deal with chimney penetrations. For safety, and for their liability.

Case resolved, case closed.

Reactions: Jedi
I forgot to post the resolution to my situation. The roofing company sent the main job boss back out without any fuss and after some light hemming and hawing to test if I would let it go, he got up on the roof while I went up in the attic. I held the chimeny as centered as I could get it and he then refastened it into place. Good enough for me and no leaks since.

Reactions: stoveliker