Got me a big Hickory from CL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
The guy said there was a lot of interest in tree, I guess I was the lucky winner ;lol
Then I find out It;s 2mi away.
Started on it today, It's green and man :eek: it is heavy stuff
He wanted to know if was going to take the branches, I thought , well It's Hickory, so I said I would take everything 2 1/2" and up.
Does Hickory dry about like Oak ;?

IMG_20130514_193204.jpgIMG_20130514_193232.jpgIMG_20130514_193238.jpg

WOW! That's a SCOOOOOORE!
Shagbark Hickory, 2 mile drive.
Premium stuff there! Great BTU (more than locust ),
Great smell & Great cooking wood.

$5.00 for a 3 lb bag of chunks here, I use it to smoke salmon.

Wet time to cut, sap running hard, heavy +
Looks like the tree was cut a while back, would have been even heavier.

Dries faster than oak. I'd guess a 2 year wood.

Way to go, lucky winner fore sure ;)

Might split a little hard though.

Wet time to cut, sap running hard, heavy +
It was cut down a while ago but it was living
Took pics as soon as I got there, I cut the trunk up some, and rolled it off the stump.

That's the mother lode, right there! :cool:
Like Dave said, I would give it a couple years. I've only dried Pignut so far. There are Shaggies around here but they seem pretty durable...

Reactions: ScotO
I have alot of Shagbark hickory............burns very good. If CSS now it should be ready for the 14 and 15 season.
Don't burn it in Novemeber though.......use it on one of those cold Michigan nights when the ice is hanging from the gutters.

Hickory is a slow seasoning wood....alot like white oak. I'd give it two years minimum, split and stacked....
that is, UNLESS you are using it for smoking or cooking on the fire......in that case, start using it today!!;)

By the way, great score, brother! That's PRIMO stuff for sure!

Reactions: Lakeside
If I had only one variety of firewood to choose - it would be hickory. It is the perfect mix of all the right characteristics sought after for home heating.

Nothing quite like the crack of hickory off the splitter. Grab the catcher gear! :eek:

I dont mean to be telling you guys what to do but I'd be over in that yard with a lawn rake and leaf bags picking up every twig.
Hdrock you would tell us if you paid for that log, right?
I wouldnt think less of you if you told us you were the highest bidder.
Well, I guess thats progress...probably dropped nuts on the guys car, too close to the house, shaded the flower bed.

I dont mean to be telling you guys what to do but I'd be over in that yard with a lawn rake and leaf bags picking up every twig.
Hdrock you would tell us if you paid for that log, right?
I wouldnt think less of you if you told us you were the highest bidder.
Well, I guess thats progress...probably dropped nuts on the guys car, too close to the house, shaded the flower bed.
Ya he said he didn't like all the nuts , all over
Yes I would tell ya If I paid for it , but no it's a freebie ,the guy said he was communicating with someone else and they stopped responding, so I was next up, and I had sent him 2 emails.

The day started out ok, but ,went n got a hair cut ,went over to work on the tree, cut some more up ,loaded some but had to quit.
Last week I was moving some big rounds with the cant hook I slipped and the end of the handle went into me ribs hard, I have been working since then cuttin and haulin wood , but I think I cracked a rib, It wasn't as bad before but It's hurting more now, and it was hurting to much today trying to move around the big rounds.
I may be able to get my SEL to help me get the rest out of there.
To top it off I think I blew up my 61 today :(
Oh ya, cut my dam finger to :oops:

IMG_20130515_143735.jpg

I love that hickory sooo much that I'd be taking my saw and going after what's left sticking out of the ground. There's a couple splits of hickory in that there stump!!==c

Reactions: HDRock and smokinj
I love that hickory sooo much that I'd be taking my saw and going after what's left sticking out of the ground. There's a couple splits of hickory in that there stump!!==c

Heck I just put the bagger on the 460. Drop chips in water and throw on coals! :eek:

Cracked rib, blown up 61 & a cut finger :eek:
I knew hickory was one tough wood but didn't know it was that tough.
LOL :)

Hope you get some help to get it out of there.

Then take a break to heal up while looking for a replacement for the 61 ;)
Good luck

Cracked rib, blown up 61 & a cut finger :eek:
I knew hickory was one tough wood but didn't know it was that tough.
LOL :)

Hope you get some help to get it out of there.

Then take a break to heal up while looking for a replacement for the 61 ;)
Good luck

Nothing easy about shagbark. I once cut a 18 foot trunk sideways......;)

Kinda funny, I got some Hickory but, I am On my way over to my Daughters In a little bit to eat some grilling off a gas grill :)

Kinda funny, I got some Hickory but, I am On my way over to my Daughters In a little bit to eat some grilling off a gas grill :)

That's where the chips come into play! :cool:

Ya ,I forgot I used to have a cast iron deal to put chips in , I'll take some with

Reactions: smokinj
Fantastic score!!! Man that hickory is kicking your a$$! LOL Like others have said hickory is a great smoking wood.. The smaller branches would be good for this.. I would avoid using the bark for smoking as it can leave a bad taste.. Love the smell of burning hickory!

Ray

For sure to get that hickory, I'd also take a rake to clean up everything for the guy. Great find.

Great score. There's a lot of warm winter nights in store with that lot.

Reactions: raybonz
For sure to get that hickory, I'd also take a rake to clean up everything for the guy. Great find.
Ya know ! I was thinking about taking a rake today, but figured I'll wait till I more stuff outa the way, I did start filling a trash can.

Well ! I have some help for the weekend to haul it out, a 41year old weight lifter,a 19 y/o football player, and another wood hauler Ford PU :)
I can get it cut up , then with 2 vehicles and a 2 mi trip it should be a snap to get er done

Feeling much better today, had a productive day, most everything cut up, and got a good load.
I have had this dolly/hand cart, 21 years, and always finding more good uses for it :)
Pics from today, I know you all like pics :p

IMG_20130516_180407.jpg IMG_20130516_200633.jpgIMG_20130516_200846.jpgIMG_20130516_201703.jpgIMG_20130516_203029.jpgIMG_20130516_203658.jpgIMG_20130516_204346.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.