Got me a wood thief!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbavh

Feeling the Heat
Oct 22, 2008
NJ Piney
So I was out doing a little cleaning up around my stacks when I noticed a hole in one of my wood stacks. Seems like one of my neighbors has been helping themselves to some of my wood. They didn't take too much(maybe about a wheelbarrows worth) but I am still really pissed about it! If they had asked I would have been more than happy to help out.
I am 98% sure I know who did it.
What would you guys suggest I do?

Bub

Put a mousetrap near the hole where they took the wood from,,,,,a good snap on their fingers will teach them a lesson. Or,,,maybe it was the Jersey Devil.... :gulp:

Got a game camera?

I'd put a sign up that says something like:

Thieves get shot, good neighbors who need a wheel barrow of fire wood need only ask.

pen

Just go talk to them. They will either be up front and apologize or deny it. Either way they will know that you know...and the problem will probably go away.

If they get crappy and/or it happens again, call the fuzz.

I love the thistle seed idea but lukem is really right.

Get ahold of a railroad tie and give them a wheelbarrow load of 16" splits from that................

pen said:
Got a game camera?

I'd put a sign up that says something like:

Thieves get shot, good neighbors who need a wheel barrow of fire wood need only ask.

pen

Love the sign wording !!!!

Just ask them if they've seen anyone suspicious around your woodpiles. Tell them that some of the wood is missing and that before you call and report it to the sheriff's office (which you don't actually have to do), you want to know if they've seen anything. That'll give them a chance to come clean, without accusing them. It will at least put them on notice that you've noticed the missing wood, even if they don't 'fess up. There is always the possibility that they had nothing to do with it, so don't get in a pissing contest...

Luken has the RIGHT answer, but not the fun or most interesting one.

Maybe drill some bore holes in a few pieces where they've been pulling from and put a couple smoke bombs and stink bombs. Make sure to make the splits in some what so you'll know not to burn them...then watch the local chimneys and back yard firepits.

lukem said:
Just go talk to them. They will either be up front and apologize or deny it. Either way they will know that you know...and the problem will probably go away.

If they get crappy and/or it happens again, call the fuzz.

+100!

How about you run an extension cord to one of their outside outlets or attach your garden hose to their outdoor faucet and see how they respond?

Energy is energy..... Seems like a fair trade to me.

All very good suggestions. You would think if they were taking the wood they wouldn't leave a trail of dropped splits. If you're gonna steal it have some respect and pick up the stuff you drop!
I think I will put some barbed wire and a few signs around the back side of my stacks. If it happens again I will confront them about it.
I'm sure they see all the wood I have and think OH! he has so much he will never miss it.

Maybe I'll go pump 20 gallons of oil from their tank!

I like dancorcorans idea of beating around the bush, err woodpile, but it is porbably based on the relationship you have with them and if you want to keep a good relationship. I know you said they didnt take much but one piece or 100 pieces is all the same to me. Although most of us enjoy hanging by the woodpile anyways, it is hard work. its just the sign of a jerk in my eyes. If it were me, i wouldnt ask you if i could have some, i would ask you if i could buy some.

My dog takes on outside security work....................

I just planted a row of decent sized Fire Thorn for future prevention, no idea how I would actually handle a thief other than with a game camera and a phone call to the police.

instead of letting the animosity build and fester, talk to them. tell them about the trail of dropped splits and that is why you suspect they "needed" some. let them know about the cost of the wood-whether it be bought or css by yourself. then, by their response, you can tell if you have a good neighbor or not...go from there.

Read the title of this thread and thought you'd caught the culprit. And then: "We're coming! Just hold 'em--PARTY!"

In addition to Dan's suggestion, I would add that you just installed a game cam that is hidden from view. (Even though you didn't)
I'm guessing that after the conversation with your neighbor, they are going to fess up.

Am I having Deja Vu or is this an older post that has suddenly ended up re-dated to today? Weird...

I've always thought it best to let neighbors know you are very upset about theives and that some low-down bugger has stole some of your wood. Many times they will apologize on the spot and that can make for some interesting conversation right then! Do nothing and it will only get worse. Do something and at least it has a chance of getting better.

I'm also one who really does not want to start any bad feelings between neighbors but also feel neighbors need to know how strongly I feel about stealing....and that is exactly what it was.

Bubbavh,

Might be kid(s) from the neighborhood having a fire while they are having a few drinks, or whatever, as well. You never know. The camera thing I think would be an interesting experiment. Then if you see who is doing it you can go from there. Or have the cops go from there. Better to be sure before you do anything I guess.

Oh, when are you going to stop running with that chain saw man? That is freaking me out! Didn't your mother ever tell you........ :lol:

Game camera for sure. The old saying is never voice a question for which you don't know the answer. The corollary is never, never make an accusation of criminal activity with neighbors unless you have proof. Long term feuds are started over a lot less. And neighbor vs neighbor feuding is the source of most problems in many communities.

If you Know its not gonna rain go to the Farm and Fleet and get the industerial Vegitation killer , Spray around the wood piles in a few days follow the dead grass tracks to the thief.

Also works on tractor tires of someone you dont like( But how would I know)

Status
Not open for further replies.