Got my 1st wood seeking panic call today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

A guy I used to work with left me a voicemail today. He was all in a panic on where to buy 2 cords of wood for THIS season. Asked if he could buy it from me.... I almost fell over listening to the vmail. I mean what is he thinking, sell my precious babies to him, cmon. People have no clue how much preparation and work goes into wood burning.

So I called him back and basically told him the same thing I told him last year. Plan ahead plan ahead plan ahead. I then explained to him AGAIN, that running a HUGE open fireplace with no glass doors is sucking the heat out of his home and that he should really invest in a wood stove. yeh yeh he says. urgh some people never listen.

The reason why he was in such a panic is that his dealer from last year wants $225 a cord. I asked was it green last year and he said no, I said you better jump all over it. That prices have gone up and its not completely green thats a decent price. I also instructed him to buy double the amount so he's ready for next year.

SCFA said:
A guy I used to work with left me a voicemail today. He was all in a panic on where to buy 2 cords of wood for THIS season. Asked if he could buy it from me.... I almost fell over listening to the vmail. I mean what is he thinking, sell my precious babies to him, cmon. People have no clue how much preparation and work goes into wood burning.

So I called him back and basically told him the same thing I told him last year. Plan ahead plan ahead plan ahead. I then explained to him AGAIN, that running a HUGE open fireplace with no glass doors is sucking the heat out of his home and that he should really invest in a wood stove. yeh yeh he says. urgh some people never listen.

Good for you. even selling him a face cord or two is a waste. actually some of those open fireplaces run in the negative, meaning they litteraly suck heat out of the home and provide nothing. sic him on to this site and get his brain working again :coolsmile:

I would give wood to someone who needed to keep warm or in a pinch, but not an "ambiance burner" as I like to call the yuppie once in a while burners.

Yeh told him last year to post a pic of his setup. He put a large addition on his home and put this enormous open fireplace in. No glass doors, just a screen. He was hoping to add custom doors, or come up with a solution to push air out. I doubt he ever posted it. I told him again today that the best thing is buy a woodstock and use that in the opening. I don't think he realizes how nice wood stove are, oh well.

Have him come over to visit and be warmed by your stove in the winter. I will also give wood to a friend in need of heat. Maybe even a one time small pile for a woodstove or even, gasp, campfire wood.

I have logs and trees available to any of my good friends who want to do the work of cutting it up. Funny how work seems to scare people away.

Status
Not open for further replies.