Got my bargain splitter! DHT 22T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paredown

Burning Hunk
Jan 11, 2009
Lower Hudson New York
After much watching on Facebook Marketplace, I finally spotted a bargain splitter--a DHT 22 Ton. Quite a drive (2 hrs)

When I got there, there were pieces on the ground around the splitter--I debated hopping back in the truck, but decided that it was fairly new, and probably worth buying--but since the part that was on the ground was the start rope assembly, it meant that I had to buy it without starting it.

Ordered the new pull rope assembly it needed--put that on late yesterday, drained the gas from the tank and topped up the oil--not even a cough.

Today I got serious--took the carb off--sure enough, white slime and rust from ethanol gas, so I cleaned everything up, cleaned out the jets and passage ways and reassembled. It started, ran for maybe 10 minutes and quit, bucking and smoking. Took everything apart a second time and recleaned the whole carb, Second time, no joy, but i had a gas leak. Third time back together, and it started and ran for at least 15 mins. I shut it off, had lunch and it started up again after lunch. I may still put a carb kit on it, but I'm pretty tickled to have a working splitter. But it is going to rain more today and tomorrow, so it looks like Sunday will be the real test.

I'm in to it for $530 plus a tank of gas, so I think I did OK...
splitter1.jpg

Nice score! I had exact same model, split some narly red and white oak with no problems. I would recommend changing the hydro filter in the near future

Reactions: paredown
Got some splitting done yesterday.

I had some really big rounds from the base of a white oak we had taken down (too close to the house)--I could barely get the wedges to pound it. I was able to roll them in place with the spltter set vertically and nibble away. Got over half of them busted up so I can switch back to horizontal for more finishing.

Getting those cleaned up was a huge start on getting organized for spring!

Sailrmike--thanks for the tip on the filter! I see DHT has them on the website--but the manual does not list equivalent 10 Micron filters--anyone know what would work?

Last edited:
Can't see the filter in the picture, but I would think it would take what I'd call a "standard" hydraulic filter. Any farm type store should stock those in both 10 and 20 micron. It's just a spin on filter like an oil filter for a car or tractor.

Baldwin BT839-10
Donaldson P551551
Wix 51551

Good to see sweat equity in action. I expect the original owner didn't do their own repairs and it wasn't worth paying someone else to do them.

When I was kid my cousins dad (my uncle) did not do any repairs on anything. They always got new bikes for Christmas and we just picked up the old ones that needed repairs and fixed them for our new bikes. My dad tried to do everything himself and taught us to do so. Served me well over the years.

Update:
A full week of part days (I am getting older after all) and I have split all the uglies that I had left laying around that the little electric couldn't bust up, and processed everything that was left from the white oak (almost 2 cords from the oak all said and done), and another small pile of sassafras that was dry enough so some is in the stove as we speak. I also got a delivery of a cord of "dry" wood stacked close to the house--this was a Christmas gift from my brothers so I couldn't really refuse--but their "dry" is wetter than the oak that I finished that had been under tarps.

Found the compatible WIX filter on Amazon, and added the drop in basket filter for the gas tank to the order. Still thinking about the carb--I may take this one apart one more time, since I'm still getting some seeking and sometimes stalling when the load kicks in...

Pretty darn good deal. You might think about getting the log table to protect the engine and hydraulic cap from dropping splits.

anyone have any good pictures of log tables they have added?

i picked up the older huskee version of this splitter and if def needs the filter and motor protected

that's like what i had in mind, thanks for sharing!

I just picked up a HF mig flux core welder, would be a great project to learn on.

I just need a source for raw material.

Get a couple cans of seafoam and run that while useing unit it will take several sesions but gets the job done. the ethanol dries out and leaves a film every where. Soaking does not always get it out, With todays modern carbs ( plastics) the old standby of boiling out a carb is no longer possible but that used to get them spic and span. There always seems to be some tiny passage that can not be accessed that causes the problem. Also replace fuel lines ethanol cause some to harden and then eventually crack or just plain rot away from the inside out. Even the newer fuel line material is still affected by what passes for fuel now days

that's like what i had in mind, thanks for sharing!

I just picked up a HF mig flux core welder, would be a great project to learn on.

I just need a source for raw material.

Home Depot and most hardware stores have small steel rack in their stores. Yes you pay a significant premium but they are convenient. If you need more steel, look in the phonebook for steel suppliers. They usually will sell steel for cash and may even cut it for you (usually there is cutting fee. Angle iron normally comes in 20 foot lengths. If you do not want to pay the cutting fee bring a hacksaw or cordless sawzall or cordless grinder with a zip wheel. If you are going to be fabbing stuff a corless grinder is pretty much required and zip wheels do straight cuts pretty quick.

Pretty darn good deal. You might think about getting the log table to protect the engine and hydraulic cap from dropping splits.
DHT/Frictionless is out of stock on their web site, but I see that someone has the table that's made for this guy on eBay @$79

My local Tractor Supply does not have the one that Sean posted (thanks) but I may drive up to the next closest store and check the hole spacings...

Small update: had an ash tree come down in the big wind last night and it clipped the end of my Harbor Freight tent that I have my construction materials in. Cold (for us) day 20 degrees and a good wind.

Bucked the tree up, barrowed it over to the splitter--started first pull! (Of course, first I had to drive to the local power equipment store to pickup a gas cap for my Stihl, which probably broke because it was too cold!)

(Too cold to do any maintenance though--I'll get the oil, hydraulic filter and carb done when it is a little warmer.)

Last edited:
Not sure if this will work for you, but not being a "metal guy", I made a table out of wood and then bolted it to the log catchers that were on the splitter.

Every time I used the splitter I think about how much energy that table saves me (and protects the engine under it as well).

Reactions: sloeffle
DHT/Frictionless is out of stock on their web site, but I see that someone has the table that's made for this guy on eBay @$79

My local Tractor Supply does not have the one that Sean posted (thanks) but I may drive up to the next closest store and check the hole spacings...

Small update: had an ash tree come down in the big wind last night and it clipped the end of my Harbor Freight tent that I have my construction materials in. Cold (for us) day 20 degrees and a good wind.

Bucked the tree up, barrowed it over to the splitter--started first pull! (Of course, first I had to drive to the local power equipment store to pickup a gas cap for my Stihl, which probably broke because it was too cold!)

(Too cold to do any maintenance though--I'll get the oil, hydraulic filter and carb done when it is a little warmer.)
You can order it on line and have it delivered to your nearest store

I bought the aftermarket table for mine. The original table is still in the box. If you are interested in buying it PM me. I’m in Ohio so the shipping won’t be too bad.

Reactions: paredown
do you have a picture?

do you have a picture?
Of the table that came with it ?

Should of added this to my last post. If your DHT splitter is from Lowes I don't think the table will work. I don't think the beam is drilled out for it. I'm sure you could drill it out though.

Yes, Lowes DHT splitters holes are different then the other DHT splitters. In the link I posted, the guy drilled holes in his splitter for the non-DHT table and said it was not difficult to do.

Quite sure I've read a few places/times that they're out of business?