Log Catcher DIY ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Going to make a log catcher for the log splitter using leftover material that includes angle iron for the brackets to support the table and 1 1/4" x 24" x 1/8" flat steel for the table. The support brackets underneath the table top will be spaced about 18 inches apart since that is where the oem holes already exist. I do not have access to a welder so everything will be bolted together.

I read that its helpful to have open space between the table slats so that bark and debris can fall through the table and out of the way. Im thinking that a 3" space between each table slat would be good but am open to suggestions.

Log Splitter Catcher 1.png

Reactions: Lone_Gun
It's going to need to take a beating. The table top material needs to be thicker, or supports underneath need to be much closer, or both.

Thanks!

Started building it yesterday. The supports are 16" apart with a 1 1/2" wide angle bracket. The splits will be smaller and between 16-20 inches wide so the load will be distributed and without much weight. And only a couple of splits will be on the table at any given time. The large rounds that create several splits, and typically larger heavier splits, are split vertically on the ground.

The table is for holding 2 or 3 splits from the round that is being split. It is not a processing table. One reason for this is space. Keeping the table slightly narrower then the wheel base makes it easier to fit in the barn doors and maneuver between tractor, trailers, wood stacks... and take up less space for storage.

Also, looked at some tables for sell and they advertise 11 gauge steel. Same as 1/8". Thicker would be better, always is :) But for me, not required.

Going to make a log catcher for the log splitter using leftover material that includes angle iron for the brackets to support the table and 1 1/4" x 24" x 1/8" flat steel for the table. The support brackets underneath the table top will be spaced about 18 inches apart since that is where the oem holes already exist. I do not have access to a welder so everything will be bolted together.

I read that its helpful to have open space between the table slats so that bark and debris can fall through the table and out of the way. Im thinking that a 3" space between each table slat would be good but am open to suggestions.View attachment 246000
My 2 cents- I would not use open slats. My recent splitter purchase has openings that the log gets caught in. Put a thin piece of tin over top of the structure and brush off the pieces. The lift I made is skinned with sheet metal and the rounds move around very easily.

Reactions: Sawset
Too late. lol I made it and used it already. Nothing got stuck. Maybe the splits are wider and from thicker rounds.

Update: thought about it a bit more. The braces supporting the slats are 13 1/2 inchs wide on the inside. About 15 1/2 inches center to center. Being close together may also keep splits from falling between the slats and getting stuck.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaIron
Too late. lol I made it and used it already. Nothing got stuck. Maybe the splits are wider and from thicker rounds.

Update: thought about it a bit more. The braces supporting the slats are 13 1/2 inchs wide on the inside. About 15 1/2 inches center to center. Being close together may also keep splits from falling between the slats and getting stuck.

any pics?

any pics?

I did this on the cheap with materials I already had and no welder. Its made to be a log/split catcher and not a processing table. It supports me @ 200 lbs. The 1/8" thick slats can flex some if pushed hard in the middle, between supports.

If some one were going to spend some cash and make one, placing the slats 2 - 2 1/2 inches apart and using 3/16" slats would be the recommendation. But, this can change depending on how far apart the support braces are.

Forgot to mention, the brace bolts are secured with Red Loctite. The slat bolts are secured with blue. Also, circled in the first pic is the loud noise de-rattle device. ie rag wrapped around pin. That pin makes more noise then the engine when the splitter is in vertical position.

Rag.jpg

IMG_20190820_140139311.jpg
IMG_20190820_140237321.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice .. you could also us a diamond plate as well..
upload_2019-8-21_9-25-27.jpeg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
That would work also. I wanted all small pieces of wood and bark not to collect on the catcher and fall through the slats onto the ground.

That would work also. I wanted all small pieces of wood and bark not to collect on the catcher and fall through the slats onto the ground.
I just keep a 5 gallon bucket near by and just sweep them off into it .. less picking up of small crapp avoided ..

I know I'm late to this game, but I made my own using 1-1/2 angle welded. It is bolted to the beam at 3 places. Mine is framed and I have a piece of plywood as the surface. I just sweep it off as I'm working. They are a back saver!