ColdNorCal Posted By ColdNorCal, Jul 28, 2019 at 2:52 PM

1. ColdNorCal

ColdNorCal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Nor Cal
    Going to make a log catcher for the log splitter using leftover material that includes angle iron for the brackets to support the table and 1 1/4" x 24" x 1/8" flat steel for the table. The support brackets underneath the table top will be spaced about 18 inches apart since that is where the oem holes already exist. I do not have access to a welder so everything will be bolted together.

I read that its helpful to have open space between the table slats so that bark and debris can fall through the table and out of the way. Im thinking that a 3" space between each table slat would be good but am open to suggestions.

Log Splitter Catcher 1.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Lone_Gun likes this.
  2. The.Devo

The.Devo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 26, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
  3. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 27, 2011
    Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    It's going to need to take a beating. The table top material needs to be thicker, or supports underneath need to be much closer, or both.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ColdNorCal

ColdNorCal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Nor Cal
    Thanks!

Started building it yesterday. The supports are 16" apart with a 1 1/2" wide angle bracket. The splits will be smaller and between 16-20 inches wide so the load will be distributed and without much weight. And only a couple of splits will be on the table at any given time. The large rounds that create several splits, and typically larger heavier splits, are split vertically on the ground.

The table is for holding 2 or 3 splits from the round that is being split. It is not a processing table. One reason for this is space. Keeping the table slightly narrower then the wheel base makes it easier to fit in the barn doors and maneuver between tractor, trailers, wood stacks... and take up less space for storage.

Also, looked at some tables for sell and they advertise 11 gauge steel. Same as 1/8". Thicker would be better, always is :) But for me, not required.

5. VirginiaIron

VirginiaIron
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Central Virginia
    My 2 cents- I would not use open slats. My recent splitter purchase has openings that the log gets caught in. Put a thin piece of tin over top of the structure and brush off the pieces. The lift I made is skinned with sheet metal and the rounds move around very easily.

Sawset likes this.
  6. ColdNorCal

ColdNorCal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Nor Cal
    Too late. lol I made it and used it already. Nothing got stuck. Maybe the splits are wider and from thicker rounds.

Update: thought about it a bit more. The braces supporting the slats are 13 1/2 inchs wide on the inside. About 15 1/2 inches center to center. Being close together may also keep splits from falling between the slats and getting stuck.

VirginiaIron likes this.
  7. The.Devo

The.Devo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 26, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
    any pics?

VirginiaIron likes this.
  8. ColdNorCal

ColdNorCal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Nor Cal
    I did this on the cheap with materials I already had and no welder. Its made to be a log/split catcher and not a processing table. It supports me @ 200 lbs. The 1/8" thick slats can flex some if pushed hard in the middle, between supports.

If some one were going to spend some cash and make one, placing the slats 2 - 2 1/2 inches apart and using 3/16" slats would be the recommendation. But, this can change depending on how far apart the support braces are.

Forgot to mention, the brace bolts are secured with Red Loctite. The slat bolts are secured with blue. Also, circled in the first pic is the loud noise de-rattle device. ie rag wrapped around pin. That pin makes more noise then the engine when the splitter is in vertical position.

Rag.jpg

IMG_20190820_140139311.jpg IMG_20190820_140237321.jpg

9. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Easton Mass. not enough time in NB Canada
    Very nice .. you could also us a diamond plate as well.. upload_2019-8-21_9-25-27.jpeg

Lone_Gun likes this.
  10. ColdNorCal

ColdNorCal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Nor Cal
    That would work also. I wanted all small pieces of wood and bark not to collect on the catcher and fall through the slats onto the ground.

11. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Easton Mass. not enough time in NB Canada
    I just keep a 5 gallon bucket near by and just sweep them off into it .. less picking up of small crapp avoided ..