Got My Castle Serenity - Not Installed Yet - Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hiskid

Sep 26, 2017
PA
E-bay had a batch of them refused/store returns for $750 free ship. They sold pretty quick. I am dry-walling and would like to get it installed within the week. The park does not allow wood stoves but my landlord gave me tentative allowance to use it as long as no one complains. The neighbor on the right is very nice and is or friend. The neighbor across the way is nasty and vindictive and would complain out of spite. I'd like to keep sparks/smoke out of view as much as possible. The two pictures shows the neighbors and the other is the inside.

The sits across the outside corner where the yellow potted plant sets. The thimble sets in the bottom.front corner of the back wall. The stove 45's out. I wanted to go 90 under the windows and come up 18" away from the window and shoot out into the hood. Should I come out of the house with a tee and put the 90 on top turn the tee sideways over to the 90 or 90 under the window put in the tee and go up a bit. Is it possible torun the stove with minimal sparks& smoke. I originally had a Summers heat pellet stove at our last m/h that vented straight up into our old wood stove chimney. Hardly anyone knew we were burning pellets Thoughts/ideas ? God bless.

Last edited:
Next door

Attachments

• NCM_0047.JPG
    NCM_0047.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 158
So you want the stove in the corner, where the yellow pot is? If so, put a 45 degree elbow, straight out of that corner to the outside, put a clean out tee and then run the pipe up over the roof if you want to best hide the smoke from neighbors.

NCM_0046edit.JPG

The blue is the 90 clean out tee, and the red is the pellet pipe.

Before you go buying pipes, read your stove manual to see what size pipe you need (3 inch diameter or 4), what type of install pipe run is required. They should have diagrams telling you what is allowed. The same goes for the pellet pipe manufacturer. They tell you how close to windows (and such) you are allowed. Finally check your codes and insurance company.

So you want the stove in the corner, where the yellow pot is? If so, put a 45 degree elbow, straight out of that corner to the outside, put a clean out tee and then run the pipe up over the roof if you want to best hide the smoke from neighbors.

Before you go buying pipes, read your stove manual to see what size pipe you need (3 inch diameter or 4), what type of install pipe run is required. They should have diagrams telling you what is allowed. The same goes for the pellet pipe manufacturer. They tell you how close to windows (and such) you are allowed. Finally check your codes and insurance company.

The manual shows multiple exhaust configs. I can straight out. I'd like to keep the exhaust behind the wall and not visible.

The manual shows multiple exhaust configs. I can straight out. I'd like to keep the exhaust behind the wall and not visible.

If you go straight out (cheaper because it uses less pipe), you may or may not smell more exhaust from time to time depending on the wind pattern. If you go straight up over the roof, there is less of a chance to smell smoke as it will rise and go away. However if you do go straight out, and your neighbor doesn't see the pipe, then your smoke smell will probably blend in with the smell of other wood burners around the neighborhood. You will have deniability.

Just a thought. Since this is a chimney plumbing question, you might consider removing the Castle Serenity part from the thread title and just call it pellet stove. That way it may gather more member participation. Sometimes people that do not have a certain brand or model stove will not open a thread because they feel they can not participate well. Just a thought.

IMO, the longer you can make your chimney without causing neighbors to know what you are doing, the better for spark control. However, you do need to adhere somewhat to the owners manual limitations. With the Serenity, settings and pellet quality will help with spark control. If you have too many fines in the pellets or other pellet issues that allow glowing pieces to be pulled out of the burn pot and then out of the stove by the exhaust blower, then sparks may be more of an issue.
IMO

I'm starting my 3rd year with the Serenity. I've seen others mention Sparks, but I've never had this issue. My pipe goes up and out, as you can see in this pic.
e49beb013338dc3e82f9e5d29a5bbe63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: vinny11950