Cutting Pellet Vent - Vent Length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hiskid

Sep 26, 2017
PA
Two questions here. Has anyone ever shortened a piece of pellet vent ? I see you can buy and adjustable 18" piece that you can cut as short as 3" . I have a ft long piece that says you can trim till 10" but the way it looks you can go all the way to 3 as the inner/outer pipes go all the way into the male end that is riveted on. With my 5 inch corner clearance leaves me around an 1-1/2 to connect. 3" would just bring me out just a bit. Instead of the twist lock the pipe has 3 holes drilled in. I was surprised how close the 3" wall brackets are to the vinyl siding. It has the tee in most of the way.

As for the way the vent, I 45'd from the stove to the tee sideways under the window 7 ft horizontal ( I'm allowed 10 horizontal with a minimum of 3' up.) I have 4- up. Then 2nd ell then 6" into the hood which gives me 12" away from the vinyl siding. Actually a bit more with the addition of another wall bracket on the vertical rise. I'm allowed 18" away from the window if I have an oak, which I do. So does the outside casing of the vent get very warm ? Thanks for comments. GBY

Thimble is in the lower corner where the yellow pot is.

I used the 18" adjustable pipe on my recent install, you actually do not have to cut the pipe at all. It slides over the other section and then you put in the 3 screws to hold it in place. So it is 18" long and will slide over the adjacent section down to 3". So no actually cutting, which made me happy since I was worried about deforming the pipe. Make sure you seal the joint with some high temp silicone. Once everything is all lined up you put in the 3 screws to hold it in place. I am guessing then that the 10" would slide over the section down to 3" as well, would be easy to give it a try just slide it all the way down and see how much length it adds.

I used the 18" adjustable pipe on my recent install, you actually do not have to cut the pipe at all. It slides over the other section and then you put in the 3 screws to hold it in place. So it is 18" long and will slide over the adjacent section down to 3". So no actually cutting, which made me happy since I was worried about deforming the pipe. Make sure you seal the joint with some high temp silicone. Once everything is all lined up you put in the 3 screws to hold it in place. I am guessing then that the 10" would slide over the section down to 3" as well, would be easy to give it a try just slide it all the way down and see how much length it adds.

Thanks. Mine is 12" says it goes to 10" but the fiberglass gasket inside is pushed way down to the end. I'm hooking to a 45 out of the stove so I don't have the room. They say to put 500 d.high temp silicone at the edge. I'm not sure if the is slid down that far the silicone would have a good seal.

Once I saw how far mine was going to slide over the other pipe I put a couple ribbons of silicone around the pipe so it sealed in more than one place. I didn't have any leaks at all on the joint where it slid over the other pipe. See picture it is the top joint on the straight section. IMG_20171014_152847.jpg