got my firerview today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Went to my local hardware store today and pickup my fireview, they took the forklift and sit it right in the truck. got two other guys to help me unload it off the truck and put it on the porch. that has to be one the heaviest things i have tried to lift in a long time,we mabe it about ten feet and had to sit it down and go borrow a dolly to make to the front porch. I'am going to have to purchase me a good dolly when i get my hearth pad built this spring, where is a good place to buy a heavy duty dolly? I 'am all the time having to move something heavy and my back is starting to feel the effects of all the heavy lifting i've done threw the years. can't wait to install that sucker and let it burn in the fall.

Congrats on the new stove. Maybe you could just rent a good dolly when you need it, I rented a heavy duty appliance dolly from local hardware store to move mine.

Todd said:
Congrats on the new stove. Maybe you could just rent a good dolly when you need it, I rented a heavy duty appliance dolly from local hardware store to move mine.

+1 on renting.

When I picked up the Heritage I brought the the truck to the rental store and the fork-lifted it onto a flat bed trailer with ramp. I also rented a decent hand-truck (but not as heavy duty as I would have liked). I then, slowly, got the stove down the ramp and into the house via the hand-truck. It took me and one other person to help guide me down the ramp and into the house.

Congrats on the new fireview. I am going to order mine next month, I am still trying to save up the money. How long did it take to get after you ordered it?

Congratulations Ridgerunner. You just bought one fine stove!

When we got ours we used a furniture dolly to move it and it worked great. You can get one either at Harbor Freight or Northern (I think Northern has the large ones on sale now for a little over $10). I bought our large dolly at Harbor Freight (same one Northern sells) for $11. You do not need anything heavier that those to move the 480 lb rock.

Do yourself a favor after you uncrate the stove. And don't uncrate it until you are at the hearth. But remove the top lid, the firebox door and the firebrick before lifting it off the crate. That takes a lot of weight off to help your poor back.

Also, you must post some pictures after the install. What colors do you have?

Backwoods Savage said:

When we got ours we used a furniture dolly to move it and it worked great. You can get one either at Harbor Freight or Northern (I think Northern has the large ones on sale now for a little over $10). I bought our large dolly at Harbor Freight (same one Northern sells) for $11. You do not need anything heavier that those to move the 480 lb rock.

Do yourself a favor after you uncrate the stove. And don't uncrate it until you are at the hearth. But remove the top lid, the firebox door and the firebrick before lifting it off the crate. That takes a lot of weight off to help your poor back.

+1 for removing the top, side door and the fire brick. It makes it easier to move but it is still a heavy stove. You will enjoy it.

as others have said, remove the brick and use a dolly, I managed to slide my napoleon off my truck on its palette, then on the ground set the palette on a furniture dolly, strapped it to the dolly, and wheeled it around to the back of the house, all with the fire brick in it and by myself. once i get it in the house i said to myself "that was one of the dumbest thigns i have ever done" haha. i should have at least taken the brick out. im lucky the stove didnt flip off the truck or down the hill on the side of the yard.

Good luck with the stove!

We hired strong young backs to muscle the Classic up the stairs to my studio. We didn't have the good sense to remove the firebricks or the lid, however. How dumb was that? (she cringes in shame). We used the same basic technology used to build the Pyramids to raise the stove from floor level onto the hearth.

I was not home when the husband and his brother rigged up the "come along" and hoisted the Fireview up the staircase to our second floor "apartment" lo those many years ago. I probably would have had a stroke had I been home... . But I remember the husband's words when I got home and the stove was in place on the hearth pad... "Hey honey, how about we touch this baby off?".

It's a wonderful stove, Ridge., I'm sure you'll be every bit as delighted with it as those of us who already one one (two) are. Congratulations.

dr.drew said:
Congrats on the new fireview. I am going to order mine next month, I am still trying to save up the money. How long did it take to get after you ordered it?
Hey dr drew i order my fireview on a monday and received it in about 5 bussiness days they are a top notch company. It took me all winter trying to save up to get one and now save up to get some tile and pipe good luck and hope your able to get one. just pop the top on it to get a littlt peep at it and it one nice rock my wife and mother loves it. .

Backwoods Savage said:

Hey backwoods i got the mattle black finish and you was right about how nice these stove really look in person, you and todd helped me chose this kind of stove, thanks for sharing your knowledge . I recently seen were you had posted a pic of your raised hearth pad for your fireview, how high did you build it ? I like the idea of having a raised hearth and soon as i figure out how to post pics i will posted them.

Ridge, we went 16" and it is about perfect height. I sit on a chair while loading the stove and the firebox door is right there so I can see in nicely. I would not change the height if we were to do it all over again. I like it much better than sitting on the floor as that is just too low, especially for us folks with bad backs and not so nimble joints.

And you are very welcome.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
dr.drew said:
Hey dr drew i order my fireview on a monday and received it in about 5 bussiness days they are a top notch company. It took me all winter trying to save up to get one and now save up to get some tile and pipe good luck and hope your able to get one. just pop the top on it to get a littlt peep at it and it one nice rock my wife and mother loves it. .
Thanks I will make a post when I get mine

Status
Not open for further replies.