Got the OK on a wood Shed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
Out of the blue my wife said, why don't you build a wood shed to put all that wood in? As the smile crept over my face I tried not to act to excited......Well sure I could do that! Ok I read through the wood shed sticky. I am an OK handyman but a crappy designer. Where should I go to get some plans for a shed? In upstate NY Cold windy snowy winters. Thanks!!!!

Do a search here at hearth.com and you should find a plethora of plans . . . or at least pictures . . . and some threads will even go into detail on what they used and show you the steps as they went. Building a woodshed is a relatively easy project if you know how to measure, cut and nail . . . after all it's usually not exacting carpentry . . . but you do want to be sure it's beefy enough to hold the weight of the wood (if there is a floor) and the weight of the snow and any wind gusts.

I have a great lumber list for mine..I could share pictures of it being built if you'd like.

Mine stores two years worth of wood, but I've heard said, in France, that you should store three years - in case you are ill one year. If you are ill for three years its probably Game Over anyway!

My wood shed has slatted sides and is open to the prevailing wind. Thus I don't have to stack (somewhere else) and then move it to the shed for the winter, it stays there from green-to-dry-to-boiler. It has a concrete floor which allows me to sweep up all the "shrapnel" off the floor and use that as kindling - which saves a job as I, now, never need to make / collect kindling.

img_2368_logbarn-jpg-171442-jpg.171480.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Mine stores two years worth of wood, but I've heard said, in France, that you should store three years - in case you are ill one year. If you are ill for three years its probably Game Over anyway!

My wood shed has slatted sides and is open to the prevailing wind. Thus I don't have to stack (somewhere else) and then move it to the shed for the winter, it stays there from green-to-dry-to-boiler. It has a concrete floor which allows me to sweep up all the "shrapnel" off the floor and use that as kindling - which saves a job as I, now, never need to make / collect kindling.

View attachment 172678
This is a wood hanger! Wow! Put a Cessna I there too!

Thanks all!! I'll do some research and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Beansie201
You can look at plans for regular sheds and then adjust whichever wall you want to leave open. Or just build the framing and side it your way.

I have bought a couple plans from these guys:

http://www.plansd.com/Shed_Plans.php

15-20 bucks, complete materials list, and a piece with a full size drawing on it to get the rafters just right.

As with bigger buildings, the one thing you can do that will make the most difference years from now is overbuild the foundation.

Reactions: baseroom
Status
Not open for further replies.