Got the Vaccine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic21

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2017
Northern Indiana
Howdy all. Since this vaccine is getting ready to roll out to the public if it hasn’t in your area already I’ll share my experience so far.
Got my first on 2 1/2 weeks ago. Second is scheduled for Tuesday. Although I’m disappointed the super powers haven’t started, putting my money in shot #2, I did not have any adverse reactions outside of a sore arm for 24 hours. While that is worse than any of the other vaccines I have gotten it really wasn’t that bad.

This isn’t meant to be political at all. I’ll update it after Tuesday when I get the second one. Most of my colleagues and friends that have gotten the second now reported fatigue for 24 hours and that was it.

Reactions: Indianawood
Got the first shot too right after XMas. Same experience, sore arm but that was about it. Following the shot there was a 15 min observation period. They extend that to 30 if you have a history of allergic reactions.

My little bro and sister in law both got their second dose this week.

Both first dose only experienced sore arms similar to tetanus vaccines.

Second dose he had the same arm pain and nothing else. She had the arm pain, fever, muscle aches, headache, and chills. Symptoms lasted 2 full days.

One of their coworkers experienced similar but for 4 days.

He's mid 30s, she's mid 20s neither with any health problems.

No shot yet. Hoping it will happen soon. FWIW, I got a flu shot last fall. That gave me a sore arm for a day or two.

The mRNA COVID vaccines represent a new generation in the evolution of vaccine technology. If they fulfill their promise they should be more adaptable and as we've seen, can be developed very quickly.

So a quick look says HPV vaccine uses recombinant DNA technology not mRNA. Maybe I'm missing something?

So a quick look says HPV vaccine uses recombinant DNA technology not mRNA. Maybe I'm missing something?

Induced mRNA's as measure of protein production is not the same thing as an mRNA vaccine. Prior to the approval of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines the CDC website said the below. It's still up on the site.

mRNA Vaccines Are New, But Not Unknown
There are currently no licensed mRNA vaccines in the United States. However, researchers have been studying them for decades.

Understanding and Explaining mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC

Wife got the first shot of Pfizer today, slight sore arm. Its been a slow rollout here, but sounding like there is promise to get a smooth process going. IIRC canada has bought nearly the most per capita worldwide but it is all imported. 80,000 doses a week for our province I believe is the plan.

Went to check when I may get the vaccine. Think I am last in MA. :)

At least I am getting my second shingles shot later this month. :)

1610370555101.png
First shot in late December . . . second booster shot in another two weeks or so.

And yes . . . I realize the mask is not covering my nose. I let it slip down so I would not fog up for the photo.

Like other folks the only after effects was a mildly sore arm around the injection site which a couple Ibuprofen handled easily enough . . .

The wife (hospital and nursing home) got the Modena shot Dec. 30. Second one scheduled for Jan. 27 ( 28 days gap).
Sore arm, some muscle pain, but nothing else.

The Dr. at the citymd I went to (see below) had been down and out for two days... Seems random what effect these shots have - no history of issues with vaccine shots for my wife or that Dr.

I had to go to citymd because the mushrooming wedge (see post a week ago or so) planted a nice metal shard in my index finger. And after trying to get it out for a week I had to let the Dr cut a 1/2 " gash in my finger... All good now (tho typing -work- sucks...).

Off topic question: gloves would possibly have prevented this. But my gloves make my axe or sledge hammer slip. What brand of gloves do you use that don't make tools slide out of your (dry winter air) hands?

Edit: shot got autocorrected into sh"t...

Last edited:
The wife (hospital and nursing home) got the Modena shot Dec. 30. Second one scheduled for Jan. 27 ( 28 days gap).

The Dr. at the citymd I went to (see below) had been down and out for two days... Seems random what effect these shots have - no history of issues with vaccine shots for my wife or that Dr.

I had to go to citymd because the mushrooming wedge (see post a week ago or so) planted a nice metal shard in my index finger. And after trying to get it out for a week I had to let the Dr cut a 1/2 " gash in my finger... All good now (tho typing -work- sucks...).

Off topic question: gloves would possibly have prevented this. But my gloves make my axe or sledge hammer slip. What brand of gloves do you use that don't make tools slide out of your (dry winter air) hands?

I wear a lot of mechanic gloves unless it gets cold, below 20 degrees, and I know exactly what you are talking about.

Reactions: stoveliker
Had my twice annual check on BP last week and was told I'd likely get the shots in April. That's what I figured, but I still gave him a look. He explains it's not gonna be a high volume process for his office. He plans on only one nurse doing the injections, and didn't seem happy about that since the patients have to remain seated and observed for a full 15 minutes.

My older son gets his first shot today. He works with cancer patient needs. They are now using firemen to help get nursing home residents vaccinated. I expect we may get the shots next month.

For handling wood, and everything else, I use the Atlas Showa coated gloves. The blue ones for mild weather and the grey ones for cold weather. I buy them in bulk and have several in each vehicle, around the house, in tool bags, etc. Eventually the coating starts to come off and then I wear them for the sawmill until I get tired of them and toss them in the trash. Wood is really hard on leather and other types of gloves.

@Medic21
Why were your doses so close together? Most folks I see getting the vaccine get each dose a few weeks apart.

For handling wood, and everything else, I use the Atlas Showa coated gloves. The blue ones for mild weather and the grey ones for cold weather. I buy them in bulk and have several in each vehicle, around the house, in tool bags, etc. Eventually the coating starts to come off and then I wear them for the sawmill until I get tired of them and toss them in the trash. Wood is really hard on leather and other types of gloves.

@Medic21
Why were your doses so close together? Most folks I see getting the vaccine get each dose a few weeks apart.
I was at three weeks today. I didn’t post it right away. Been on vacation and busy as hell.

Reactions: SpaceBus
At least I am getting my second shingles shot later this month. :)
Shingrix gave me a super sore arm and my sister a day of fever & chills. So COVID vaccine injection short term side effects certainly seem acceptable to me in light of what it can prevent.

Update,

In the spirit of honesty. I’m 24hrs past my second shot now. Arm hurt like hell last night, worse than the first shot. Pretty sure I had a low grade fever and felt generally like I was hungover. Got up at 5am and felt drained. Slept till 9 and got around to work. I unloaded and stacked the Locust I cut and split yesterday. Eating some lunch and I fell pretty much normal.

I had to force my run yesterday evening. 3 1/2 miles that were hell. Skipped the run this morning and didn’t even try. I’ll get out tonight and see how it goes.

Don’t shy away because of the side effects. They are not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.