Got Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
Went to a buddies place and got some wood. While we were there he said he had 2 more large silver maple trees he wanted to take down. Got 2 truckloads and still have 1 truck load left there. After we take these other 2 trees down should have another 8-10 truck loads.

It looks to me like 2 trucks beds full is close to 1 cord.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I got a sheet from the DNR that said that a load of wood level with the sides of a pickup were estimated at 1/3 of a cord of wood. If you had a heaping load, I'd say your pretty close to a cord with two loads.
Awesome score! Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.
I got three big Ash trees this last fall and I'm still not finished splitting it.

Nice score. Get it split it seasons faster than most.

It will be split over the next 3 weeks. I don't have the kinda space to store more then 3-4 cords, so I need stuff that seasons in 1 year. I will be bucking next years this spring.

Find a way to go vertical with the storage -- like a 5'D x 16'L x 13.5'H with "floors" every 4'6". Then you can store 6 cords and be able to get to each cord. It would look like a big 6-hole rectangular cube. It's a thought. You'd use a ladder to throw down wood from the top storage holes. It's a thought and I doubt it would be difficult to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.